When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The life of a "double agent"? --------------------------->

diver_dylan

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/mess...+and+an+apology.

"The Ugly Truth, and an apology.

March 7 2007 at 3:39 PM Renfro (Login JRenfro)

I've had a watch obsession for most of my life (I'm still young, 23, so that doesn't mean a long time). I lived in the world of $300-$500 for several years until coming across Panerai. The first one I purchased was a fake 196. I loved the look of it, and over the next year or so I bought my first real Panerai (164), and sold and bought a few more (111, 88, real 196 from another Paneristi, and a 176 from another Paneristi). Some from a local AD and others from this forum. I quickly developed a "fetish" for Panerai that I could not afford. I stayed a float by buying and than selling to continue to satisfy the urge without spending $15k-$20k. After observing this community I became even more in love with the watch and the brotherhood of this forum's participants.

I recently displayed a lapse in integrity and character by letting that urge for the next new Panerai get the best of me. I simply could not afford to continue at the same pace with the real thing, so I stooped to the embarrassing level of acquiring a couple of fakes (217 and 243) and trying to pass them off to others (and the saddest part, to myself) as authentic. Once I was called out (goes to show you can't fool a Paneristi) I spiraled into an even more disgusting damage control of lies. I have nothing else to say other than I'm am sorry and deservingly embarrassed.

I want to relay my affection for this forum/community and my sincerest apologies for disgracing the Paneristi name (for I used to call myself one). For anyone who I've done business with, I want to tell you that I've never and would never attempt to trade or sell any non-authentic watches or accessories. I know that statement may not carry as much weight now, but I feel the need to say it anyway. That is the truth.

I ask nothing more than for you all to let me go and learn in peace. I will no longer participate in this forum or any of it's events, give aways or local GTG's. My Father always told me I had to learn my lessons the hard way(and many times more than once). He was undoubtedly correct.

Sincerest Apologies,

Renfro"

Yikes!

D

Not very clever......it simply makes them more aware of what's out there....and even more determined to stamp it out....you've been a member here for a year.....so don't give us the old pish about you didn't think you would get called out........you KNEW the score as you were posting them.........you KNEW you would be outed.......you KNEW they would get a hair in the crack of their ass about it......!

What exactly were you trying to achieve.....additional hassle for members of our forum(s).......or plaudits for your excellent taste and financial abilities regarding the purchase of these two 'genuines'.......claiming that you bought them from an AD....and compounding the lie even further by trying to shift the blame to someone else.......I'm afraid that's unforgiveable in my book........I will certainly be making enquiries to find out who has dealt with you in the past......sorry to say.....no soup for you....!

Edited by TTK

Not very clever......it simply makes them more aware of what's out there....and even more determined to stamp it out....you've been a member here for a year.....so don't give us the old pish about you didn't think you would get called out........you KNEW the score as you were posting them.........you KNEW you would be outed.......you KNEW they would get a hair in the crack of their ass about it......!

What exactly were you trying to achieve.....additional hassle for members of our forum(s).......or plaudits for your excellent taste and financial abilities regarding the purchase of these two 'genuines'.......claiming that you bought them from an AD....and compounding the lie even further by trying to shift the blame to someone else.......I'm afraid that's unforgiveable in my book........I will certainly be making enquiries to find out who has dealt with you in the past......sorry to say.....no soup for you....!

TTK - I think you did the same thing Bigshooter did to Aquaracer over at RWI. I don't think dylan is the one who did it, he is just relaying the post from Paneristi... :victory:

TTK - I think you did the same thing Bigshooter did to Aquaracer over at RWI. I don't think dylan is the one who did it, he is just relaying the post from Paneristi... :victory:

Yeah....I saw the post at RWI.....perhaps I misinterpreted his intention.....maybe he should have made it a little clearer...maybe I'll just go ahead and put diver_dylan on my blacklist anyway......just for achieving what many have failed to do......confusing me.....:lol:

Edited by TTK

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Im not the guy that did that! I saw it on paneristi and copied and pasted it here for everyone to see!

BLACKLIST........ME?!

IM NOT THAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE THIS!

D

LOL I feel like the mediator/interpreter here... No Dylan, I believe TTK was joking... :D

Ohhhh my goodness . . . I fear that you have "shot the messenger."

On the other hand, it was a very good shot!

Bill

I don't know what to say or comment except that I'm reminded of one of my favorite movie quotes. What Rhett Butler said to a sobbing Scarltt O'Hara guiltly confessing that she had used her second husband just for his name and money and that she was ashamed and sorry..

"Here...dry your tears. If you had it to do all over again, you'd do no different. You're like the theif who's not the least bit sorry he stole, but he's terribly, terribly sorry he's going to jail."

I actually feel sorry for the guy, especially since he is so young. He just basically wanted to keep up and run with the dogz. But I guess he should have known better than to post rep pictures on a fan board. That is not very smart and the results are predictable.... at least a rep before modding it! :whistling:

Is this guy Renfro into self-flagellation or something? Begging for forgiveness from a bunch of shallow arseholes who consider themselves privileged and elevated because they've been suckered in by a watch brand's marketing puff?

What a wuckfit.

This all sounded so harsh that I had to investigate a bit more. The bum deserved what he got and more. He had actually sold some of the fakes to other members of that Bulletin Board as genuine.

If you have a rep of a $10K+ watch, and you paid $200 for it, and you try to sell for even $400 -- that is OK in my book. Any buyer should realize that they are not going to buy a $10K watch for hundreds of dollars. If you take that $200 watch and then try to sell it for a grey market new or pre-owned price of say $3,500, that is very wrong. It is wrong to try and do that to others plain and simple. And that is what this guy did.

Edited by Tim

Now THAT is scum of the earth! That downright fraud! I dont get caught up in the whole ethics issue with reps and lying to others saying theyre real. Theyre JUST watches! Its not like lying and saying your cured cancer. Its a damn watch for christs sake. If someones ego wont let them buy a rep, I could care less. I do it for the love of the aesthetics. Not one of my friends even knew what a Panerai was before I started wearing them. When they ask how much they cost, I always say.... "under $10k". Its a game. Who cares. Id never sell one to anyone not on here anyway.

But to cross over to the dark side... I wonder if he's going to move to Florida now and start scamming little old ladies out of their SS money? Its the same damn thing.

Im done. lol

D

This all sounded so harsh that I had to investigate a bit more. The bum deserved what he got and more. He had actually sold some of the fakes to other members of that Bulliten Board as genuine.

If you have a rep of a $10K+ watch, and you paid $200 for it, and you try to sell for even $400 -- that is OK in my book. Any buyer should realize that they are not going to buy a $10K watch for hundreds of dollars. If you take that $200 watch and then try to sell it for a grey market new or pre-owned price of say $3,500, that is very wrong. It is wrong to try and do that to others plain and simple. And that is what this guy did.