When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Pauls So Called Perfect Get Tested to 5 Bar

teknotronik

I bought a So Called Perfect Sub from Paul last week and im still scared of taking it near water. I know some reps are not properly equipt (i.e. caseback not tight, gaskets are not lubed, cristal not sealed properly, etc.) to be worn in the water. Does any one own a So Called Perfect Sub they bought from Paul or know how much water activity i can do with this watch? Im thinking of getting the caseback tightened and getting the gaskets fixed to make the watch water resistant, but if this was already done prior to shipping like on Andrews Subs then theres no point in spending the extra loot.

Sorry if this sounds a bit flippant, but how would we know? I'd take any such claims from any dealer with a large pinch of salt and wouldn't even consider wasting the huge premium charged for such a 'service' from our sellers. You seem to hold a lot of sway in Andrew's claim, but how can you be so sure?

If it matters that much to you buy the basic watch and get it waterproofed and pressure tested by a trusted watchmaker of your choice with the money you saved.

Sorry if this sounds a bit flippant, but how would we know? I'd take any such claims from any dealer with a large pinch of salt and wouldn't even consider wasting the huge premium charged for such a 'service' from our sellers. You seem to hold a lot of sway in Andrew's claim, but how can you be so sure?

If it matters that much to you buy the basic watch and get it waterproofed and pressure tested by a trusted watchmaker of your choice with the money you saved.

Someone who does buy one of these watches could get them tested, i talked my self out of buying the more expensive $300 Perfect Sub and got instead Pauls version of the same watch for half that. I was just wondering if Pauls got the same service as Andrews watches. I guess i could take the watch to get pressure tested and what not but why do that when i can ask here first. You wouldnt know because you dont own the watch, thats why in my post i said "Does any one own a So Called Perfect Sub they bought from Paul" and knows about it might be able to answer the questions. I did save myself the money and if i choose to i could go and get it water proofed, but before i do so i want to know if anyone here who DOES know about the watch and its water resistance might be able to answer my question, thus saving me the trip to the "watchmaker".

One thing you have to understand about buying reps is that there is no guarantee of out of the box quality control. While this is true of gens as well, it is much, much more likely to be a problem with reps. Dealers drop ship watches to you sight unseen and they are assembled by people who make about a dollar a day (I'm exaggerating but you get the point), so mistakes like poorly seated crystals, missing gaskets, half-screwed in casebacks inevitably occur. Therefore, no dealer (Paul, Andrew, Josh, ANYONE) can really "guarantee" a watch is water-resistant except to the extent that if it leaks, they will (probably) replace the watch. One member of this board disassembled his "guaranteed 1000m water resistant" SuperOcean Steelfish rep and found the crystal simply pressed into the case, with no sealing agent! Guaranteed 1000m, my ass.

As far as your Sub goes, the design is not inherently leaky but based on my own experience with a Sub and a YM from Paul, I wouldn't bet on a lot of water-resistance. The crystal is simply pressed into a plastic retaining ring and held in place by the bezel insert, which in turn uses a pretty cheap glue. Even if the watch seems initially water-resistant, if the bezel insert falls off (and this has happened to a lot of people), goodbye crystal, then goodbye movement. If you seal the crystal to the case with some silicone or something, securely glue in the bezel insert and make sure the crown and caseback are watertight, you're probably in good shape -- but out of the box? Unless you like arguing with Paul over returns, I wouldn't swim with it.

One thing you have to understand about buying reps is that there is no guarantee of out of the box quality control. While this is true of gens as well, it is much, much more likely to be a problem with reps. Dealers drop ship watches to you sight unseen and they are assembled by people who make about a dollar a day (I'm exaggerating but you get the point), so mistakes like poorly seated crystals, missing gaskets, half-screwed in casebacks inevitably occur. Therefore, no dealer (Paul, Andrew, Josh, ANYONE) can really "guarantee" a watch is water-resistant except to the extent that if it leaks, they will (probably) replace the watch. One member of this board disassembled his "guaranteed 1000m water resistant" SuperOcean Steelfish rep and found the crystal simply pressed into the case, with no sealing agent! Guaranteed 1000m, my ass.

As far as your Sub goes, the design is not inherently leaky but based on my own experience with a Sub and a YM from Paul, I wouldn't bet on a lot of water-resistance. The crystal is simply pressed into a plastic retaining ring and held in place by the bezel insert, which in turn uses a pretty cheap glue. Even if the watch seems initially water-resistant, if the bezel insert falls off (and this has happened to a lot of people), goodbye crystal, then goodbye movement. If you seal the crystal to the case with some silicone or something, securely glue in the bezel insert and make sure the crown and caseback are watertight, you're probably in good shape -- but out of the box? Unless you like arguing with Paul over returns, I wouldn't swim with it.

Wow I am glad I read this thread. I have a YM from Andrew and the bezel insert just popped off on me. It was brand new and was wearing it just the second time. Fortunately I was tying my shoe and saw it pop off. I pulled the bezel ring off and glued the insert back on. It is drying upstairs. So how is the crystal itself mounted on the case, just pressed in? Is there something I can do for it while I have the bezel off?

/Tim

Exactly right.

You'll hear from members who will claim they have gone swimming every day for 5 years and members who fogged their WR watches sweating. Every watch is an individual adventure.

You wouldnt know because you dont own the watch,.....

Irrelevant. As CC points out....

You'll hear from members who will claim they have gone swimming every day for 5 years and members who fogged their WR watches sweating. Every watch is an individual adventure.

No one in their right mind is going to stick their neck out and say 100% that you will have no troubles because theirs has been fine, and even if they did you'd be nuts to take the advice on spec as your watch would be a different piece from theirs. What would you expect to do in the event someone did give you the assurance you seek and then your watch fills up - sue them for misleading you?! Give the dealer grief because someone else got a watch from them better than yours?! Or would you just come in here and start a flame war against said dealer or member who gave you the answer you wanted?

Your question has no sensible or reasonable answer - the only way is to satisfy yourself in the way I described.