When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My patek needs a hand

palhaco02

Hi!

I have a rep sky moon turbilion. It is a nice watch but the moon face has stopped.

I've been reading the foruns and I could pop the top where the asian movmt is but I cannot release the "thingy which sets the time". On the other hand I don't know if I'm supposed to start on the to but I can't seem to get the botton to open. Since it has a gold coating I ended up with a scratch from my noobness.

Pelase help me so that I don't have to go to a watchsmith and say "could you please replace the battery on my patek philipe" because I don't know if someone will throw something at me.

Thanks!!

• 5 months later...

Hi Corgi!

The Sky moon has three parts.

The top part (crown) which is put in place using pressure and can be removed with a knife envolved in a soft cloth.

After the crown with its O ring are removed, you an see the dial of the sky part. On the outside there are four screw holes. In my case there were only two screws (talk about saving in material :) If you unscrew these, the middle and bottom parts separate, showing the quartz on the bottom part.

Then you can replace the battery. I don't know the battery ID since I just ask my dealer for "one just like this one".

Hope this helps!

The Sky moon has three parts.

The top part (crown) which is put in place using pressure and can be removed with a knife envolved in a soft cloth.

After the crown with its O ring are removed, you an see the dial of the sky part. On the outside there are four screw holes. In my case there were only two screws (talk about saving in material :) If you unscrew these, the middle and bottom parts separate, showing the quartz on the bottom part.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The thing which confuses me is that I have read instructions which tell me to go in through the rear, but here you say to go in through the top. I assume it's the same difference except removing the back will skip the trouble with the screws... is the quartz side "attached" to the caseback? Can they easily snap back together or will it re-attach in a flimsy manner?

Also, if you look at the part of your post which I highlighted, this is throwing me off. When you say the "crown" is the top part of the watch I think you mean to say the upper hatch of the case (?). The crown would be the little cone coming out of the side of the watch that lets you pull it out to set what time it is. I don't really want to take a knife and use it as a balance to forcefully catapult the crown out of the case. I guess its just a little unnatural which is why I am hesitant!!

Thanks for your reply, maybe if you can clarify just a little bit more, you know I am anything but a watch expert!!

C

Hi corgi!

Do not go to the rear on this. It is attached with screws. This was one of my first fears when opening the watch.

I'm not a native english speaker and this watch lingo is still not in me. The top part is not named "crown", that was my mistake. I think the word is bezel. Nevertheless it IS the top part which comes off applying pressure.

Sorry about that!