When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heresy. Quartz replacement for mechanical.

gregers

You've got a watch that stops. It's not the love of your life but you quite like it. A repair is uneconomical. The parts or the whole movement are not readily available. Or maybe you are just sick of the damned, unreliable thing always stopping and requiring expensive ministrations from your local watch guy.

Is it a viable option to swap out the movement and transplant a quartz one? What's involved and is it sraightforward?

It seems to me to be a reasonable alternative to yet another piece becoming a useless paperweight. But what do I know. I am thinking that it should be feasible because one or two of our favourite reps do come in either mechanical or quartz versions. Can anybody put me right on this?

There is more than enough info on movements in general out there for you to be able to answer your question. Specifically - what movement are you looking to replace? This will help you establish ligne/thickness, diameter, hand-post dimensions and date window position. Then you have to find a quartz movement that matches those specifications.

I don't hold much hope though....

There is more than enough info on movements in general out there for you to be able to answer your question. Specifically - what movement are you looking to replace? This will help you establish ligne/thickness, diameter, hand-post dimensions and date window position. Then you have to find a quartz movement that matches those specifications.

I don't hold much hope though....

I was thinking in terms of the basic Asian 21j/non chrono with date. This seems to be a somewhat fallible movement and I was hoping that there might be a number of drop in quartz equivalents. From what you indicate, however, I'd clearly and rather naively under- estimated the variables involved. Possibly a non-date version might conceivably be easier to scource. Thanks.