When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me mod my GMT-II!

jacobsen1

OK, here's my watch:

223515-13737.jpg

I've been thinking of making it less of a rep, and more of a franken watch.

Someone on another forum pointed me towards www.mkiiwatches.com.

What sized face would the GMT-II take? I'm hoping 28mm because they have this dial:

in 28mm and I like the way it looks.

link:

double u double u double u

dot

mkiiwatches.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=B90000-1122415052

yes, I know there is no date window. I would cover the date, and burn off the cyclops as I don't like the date. (I don't hate it, but if I go franken, it's coming off)

they also sell hands that I like the look of:

only with this second hand:

link:

double u double u double u

dot

mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=209e.html

If I got those parts, how would I get them installed? Is this something I could attempt on my own? If so what tools would I need and how much would they cost? I'd love to learn about working on watches as it looks very interesting, but if it's too likely I'll trash the watch, and/or too expensive for the tools I'll pay to have it done.

If anyone here can do this work for me, please PM me an offer on how much it would cost!

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by jacobsen1

Important: I would not 'direct link' Bill Yao's MKII site over here. If u want to post pics from his site, serve them yourself via Imageshack, Photobucket, etc.

If u wanna use his parts, take apart your watch and measure all necessary parts.

You will need a hand remover and a hand setting device, caseback opener, gasket lube, a screwdriver set, movement holder, various tweezers, a crystal press, etc... You should ideally practice on a donor watch before you attempt your main project. Invest in the best tools u can buy (swiss not china/india). It should set u back $150-$200 for decent tools.

Or, try and find a local dude who will do the work. It's easy to do, should cost less than $20-$30 to do. If u are paying more, then u are being ripped off.

Cheers

Edited by Eunomians

Thanks for the info. How do you find a local guy that's willing to work on reps?

also why:

Important: I would not 'direct link' Bill Yao's MKII site over here. If u want to post pics from his site, serve them yourself via Imageshack, Photobucket, etc.

I edited them out anyway, just curious as to why?

Thanks,

Ben