When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you install chrono pusher buttons on the GST?

jj69

After much begging, I finally got a replacement chrono button for the one I lost on my GST.

Now I just need to figure out how to install it!

The post on the watch is obviously threaded, but I can't figure out how to get the button on there. When I twist the button to screw it onto the metal post, the metal post twists along with it!

Is there a trick to this? Do I have to dis-assemble the watch to get this re-installed?

The pin that the button screws onto needs to be held while the button is screwed on, the back at least needs to be removed, best left to an expert if you don't have experience, and remember to get him (or if you do it yourself) to put some thread lock on to stop it undoing again, probably best to get them both done.

Richard,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply! I'm no watchsmith, but I think I can handle getting the caseback off. I assume all I need is a caseback remover and a pair of tweezers to hold the pin? Both were included in my el-cheapo watch repair kit. :)

I got the caseback off. That wasn't too hard, although the rubber ring popped off with it. Not sure if that will cooperate when I try to re-install the caseback.

Looking at the movement, I can see the pins from the bottom. I tried using a tool to hold the pin steady while I screw the button on, but it is very difficult. I cannot get the button all the way on the pin. It is still far too loose.

Is there a trick to installing these buttons? I fear that if I keep going without some guidance, I risk damaging the watch.

Normally the pushers are installed one of two ways:

1. A "C" clip on the end of the pusher.

2. A screw that screws in from the inside into the pusher on the outside of the case.

To work on the pusher, you need to remove the movement from the case, so you can reach the screw or "C" clip.

There are various posts in the how-to section on removing movements, if your not experienced or dont' have the tooling to do this, it may be best to have someone who does do the work.

The 7750 is not a simple movement to take out of the case and depending on the pusher arrangement, case ring etc, it can be a bit daunting.

RG

Thanks for the tips The Zigmeister. There's just one thing I don't understand. I have not even attempted to remove the movement, but it appears to fit very snug in the case. I simply don't understand how it's physically possible to remove the movement with the two chrono buttons still attached. I would think there should be a way to remove the two buttons BEFORE the movement could even be removed from the case. Am I missing something here?

I should note that this is the SS version of the GST. There's a great thread by Takashi on RWI explaining how to decase the GST movement. However, Takashi had the Ti version of the watch. In his photos, it's clear that the chrono buttons on the Ti version use a different mounting scheme. They are clearly part of the case itself. On the SS version, the buttons are separate and can fall off. See the attached photo of my watch.

post-4018-1175130606_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 15 years later...
On 3/28/2007 at 8:23 AM, jj69 said:

After much begging, I finally got a replacement chrono button for the one I lost on my GST.

Now I just need to figure out how to install it!

The post on the watch is obviously threaded, but I can't figure out how to get the button on there. When I twist the button to screw it onto the metal post, the metal post twists along with it!

Is there a trick to this? Do I have to dis-assemble the watch to get this re-installed?

Hi JJ69! I just lost one of my chrono buttons as well.  May I know where you got your button replacement from please? Thanks you