When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to place a rolex crystal correctly back in?

EuroTimez

I bought a Submariner LV, it is perfect (in my opinion) except for the crystal it is crooked. It needs to be turned alittle, do you have any suggestions how to place it correctly so that the date mag will be in place, and the crown. My watchmaker said he could take it out but he didnt have a idea if he could get the mag straight over the date.

Help is always appriated...thanks btw for helping answer the question abt the valjoux daytona thing. I read your post abt new asian with running sec at 6, and that it might be unreliable. I dont know how to freeze it and i dont think my watchmaker does either so i'll leave it as it is. And i will tell you how long i it will last in orginale state. You dont know by any chance out of experience how long the new valjoux lasted with running sec at 6, right? It still works fine but the seconds at 6 is what i feel (maybe it is perfectly fine) runs a little jerky, not so smooth in my opionon. But the new asian is then better in a way than the ETA one, if you have running seconds at 6, cuz i recall out of your post that a ETA needs 11 extra gears and a New Asian only 5 extra gears. So if ETA and New Asian are at par, then it would be better to go for the Asian, besides it being cheaper. is this correct?

So sorry in total 3 questions.

1. How to place crystal back with a already mag and crown.

2. Do you know out of experince how long a new asian will last with running sec at 6

3. Which is better ETA or NEW ASIAN 7750 in case of running sec at 6?

Thanks for all the time you put in it to answer these questions.

Ok on the crystal, it's done...

2. No idea how long these models will last, a lifetime I think with proper regular servicing... The question is not how long will the movement last, but one of how long will the movement be able to keep turning all these extra gears... There is a difference between the two.

Keeping any movement lasting a lifetime requires only two things 1. regular maintenance (every 3-5 years) and 2. keeping the movement clean and sealed and not contaminated. No 1 you can take care of by having the watch serviced. No 2 you can't do much about as the servicing should make sure all the seals are in place, and lubricated to prevent entry of dirt and contaminants. You can make sure the crown is always screwed down, and that you dont' expose the watch to water...

3. Since I feel that the Asian NEW 7750 is on par with the ETA one (my opinion only, and until others tear one down and provide their comments, I guess the only opinion...) then it's down to money. ETA $$$$$ ASIAN $$...just because the ETA is not needing service right away, doesn't mean it's better in the long run. They are both basically the same.

Biggest issue is that some parts for the Asian 7750 are not interchangeable with the ETA ones...so if you need a new balance wheel for your Asian 7750, you can't get one...

Hard decision, and no easy answer. I am not a big fan of the daytona with running seconds at 6 as I can see how it affects the movement having to turn those extra 5 gears...it's a big load...

But, if your wondering about Asian 7750 quality, I have an OLD crappy (according to some) Asian 7750 in my 14 month old PAM 188, and it still works great, all the chrono's work, and reset to zero, and I use it all time, use the chrono's all the time, and have never had a problem.

OLD Asian 7750 is a Yugo.

NEW Asian 7750 is a Mercedes.

Old still working after 14 months of me abusing and working the chrono's all the time...so the new should last a long time...

RG