When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wrist shots can be very deceptive.

dangerman

We constantly see discussion about whether a watch is too big for certain size wrists. As part of this people post wrist shots, often from up close.

I found an interesting take on the subject on time zone and wanted to bring it to your attention. Appologies if it has been mentioned before.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...id=0#msg_953641

Basically they say that a kind of optical illusion can make a watch look much bigger on a wrist then it does when viewed from a distance. Fascinating stuff.

Hope that helps some people.

Edited by dangerman

That is absolutely fascinating :D It certainly explains why, in the two wrist shots I took yesterday, in the first, my watch looks the size of a 45mm Planet Ocean, and in the second, it is clearly normal size :D

Dangerman,

This is damn good stuff. We really should set a suggested standard distance for people showing us their wrist shots. From the curve, and the length of the average persons arms, it seems 12 inches might be reasonable. Some compact cameras with zoom lens may well balk at this distance, but them doing it at 24 inches or whatever would still limit the "Watch on Steroids" effect. (Timezone bitmat image converted to jpg via photoshop for reuse) 24", 12", 6", 3" seen below:

227272-12907.jpg

The watch I would want to buy is the 3rd image from the left (6 inch away shot). After buying and putting on the watch from image one, I would be like "WTF? Didn't look like this in the ad!". Thanks man :thumbsupsmileyanim: