When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Canada Customs

miquel

I knew Canada was a little lax on our hobby, but now the government is taking a stand...

This is from telus.com news today...Fake goods flooding into Canada an issue of crime and safety

For instance, counterfeit goods are not illegal under the Customs Act, and when charges are laid under the Criminal Code, sentences often are little more than a fine.
"The U.S. trade representative has placed Canada on the Special 301 Watch List . . . the International Chamber of Commerce ranked Canada as the 13th worst country, worse than Nigeria, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Bulgaria," said Lee Webster, a lawyer who is chairman of the Canadian chamber's intellectual property committee.

"As a Canadian, I am embarrassed to report these statistics."

The new laws could include provisions to allow police to seize the proceeds of counterfeit crime - as is the case with drugs - as well as stiffer penalties, and wider seizure power.
I hope it doesn't affect our hobby too much.

Although...

But Michael Geist, a University of Ottawa law professor, wants the committee to slow down and study the matter further before jumping to the conclusion Canada's laws are inadequate.

Maybe he is a member here?

Much ado about nothing. RCMP focus is on the sale of Replica merchandise in Canada not the importation and purchase for personal use. RCMP budget has been slashed to the bone and the force does not have the resources to take on Rep interdiction beyond its current status. Just more noise from a lobby group. Business as usual in Canada.

Canada is a rep buyer haven - no customs worries here as long as for personal use. If customs does open a package they may send a tax bill depending on declared value.

I thought that reading from previous experiences that Canada was difficult to get reps through customs. I have also read members getting bills for import tax. Is this not true?

I'm still liking my Planet Ocean alot, but I think I'll be needing a waterproof watch for the summer. I've been looking at different gen quartz watches but I haven't decided on anything yet. The reason I was thinking of quartz is beacuse I would be wairing my PO as my daily beater (6 days a week) and I don't have a winder. If anybody has any suggestions on an affordable gen quartz sports watch let me know.

By the way miquel, whats the old gen Tag been up to?

My first purchase from Silix was opened by Canada Customs and they just taped it back up with their fancy government red tape.

None of the others have been opened. All my other purchases came from Canada Post, Silix's was from UPS.

By the way miquel, whats the old gen Tag been up to?

Nothing, pm me if you want to talk about it....

My first purchase from Silix was opened by Canada Customs and they just taped it back up with their fancy government red tape.

None of the others have been opened. All my other purchases came from Canada Post, Silix's was from UPS.

Nothing, pm me if you want to talk about it....

I friggin hate UPS. They are the biggest ripoffs of all!!! Brokerage fees based on a value scale to clear customs. What kind of [censored] is that?