When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean improvements (Pics Added)

andreww

I've had my black/white Ultimate lite for a little while now, but due to a stripped crown tube and my reluctance to send such an inexpensive watch back to China, Andrew offered to send me a new one at a discounted price. I chose the Pumpkin version this time, and it arrived this morning. I had it sized, and now that its been on my wrist for a few hours, I've noticed some nice improvements over my black bezeled version.

I got my SMPO 45 mm ultimate from Andrew about a week ago and was going to do a detailed review but this post caught my attention first.

I was a bit warey of buying this watch because amongst the good posts there seemed to be plenty of people who had got watches with fairly significant flaws. Commonly reported were stripped crown threads, misaligned bezels and awful pearls. The pearls were either not central on the "12" marker,

were protruding and uneven, or both. The remaining common faults were loose clasps and uneven gaps between the bracelet links.

The good news is that my SMPO has a perfectly aligned bezel and the crown screw, like yours, feels smooth,well constructed and solid.

The bracelet is perfect with even gaps and the clasp, an area not often done well on reps, is first class with a nice positive snap and no sharp edges.

It's a good sign when even the unseen parts of the watch are well detailed and finished.

The only minor flaw I could find was that the pearl, although centred and "level", protruded slightly above the surrounding metal ring and had a rough feel as you drew a finger across it. I corrected this as follows:- First I masked around the pearl with ordinary masking tape then carefully buffed it down with a ladies nail buffing file. This file had three grades of abrasive ranging from fine through very fine to super fine stuck to a sort of semi-rigid foam backing strip. I managed to buff the pearl down to the level of the metal rim then give both a super smooth polish. It looks and feels great now.

As a litttle aside, I have also used the same sort of nail buffing file to remove scratches and dings from stainles steel watch cases and find it works very well. The finest part of the nail buffing file gives a mirror finish.

So either we were both lucky or the quality control has improved. Either way I am very pleased with the watch. Quite the best rep I have seen.

Great upgrades it appears Andreww...I have what I consider a very good one received from Joshua arounf the first of the year. The crown tube stripped completely a week ago. Glad to hear this problem has been corrected.

Congrats and wear it well!

i got this one this afternoon.....

some pictures.., maybe it's the same as yours Andreww?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/my-PO-came-in-t23873.html

From what I can see, yours appears to be the updated version. The subtle changes are really hard to capture in pics, but the Omega logo on yours appears to be more flat, like my new one. Its still not like the gen logo which is perfectly flat on top, but its a lot closer than the previous version.

Great upgrades it appears Andreww...I have what I consider a very good one received from Joshua arounf the first of the year. The crown tube stripped completely a week ago. Glad to hear this problem has been corrected.

Congrats and wear it well!

When the crown stripped on my black one, I removed about 2mm from the stem, and filed a bit off the end of the crown tube. This allows the crown to close tightly against the case. As I never intended on swimming in that one, its not that big a deal.

My Po had 4 problems and I sent it back to Andrew. The perl was the usual tilted, the He valve spun like a top and I was afraid it would eventually be lost, The crown would not screw down but the real killer was the watch stopped periodically. Andrew tells me a replacement is on the way so I will let you know the outcome. Hope that the problems have all been fixed because I liked the feel and look of this watch. The bracelet was perfect.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Nice report. I wonder if the same minor changes were made to the black/white version. I'm very tempted to get one, strip the AR, have it recoated double sided, and clip the feet off the dial logo..... Not an Omega fan per se, but the PO has definitely grown on me. If the crown/tube threading issues have been fixed, that might just do it!

Nice report. I wonder if the same minor changes were made to the black/white version. I'm very tempted to get one, strip the AR, have it recoated double sided, and clip the feet off the dial logo..... Not an Omega fan per se, but the PO has definitely grown on me. If the crown/tube threading issues have been fixed, that might just do it!

I would love to know if it has been changed on the black/white and black/orange number version as well, as I am about to order a PO Lite and don't like the all orange bezel.