When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would This Be Effective?

BigSlickAK

Do you think it would be worthwhile to sign up an account primarily for the purpose of bidding on all these Scammer's watches?

Imagine some ridiculous amount that would open the eyes of everyone currently bidding.

At the same time report to EBAY staff that the item as fake, and cover all grounds by e-mailing the Seller for more info and push all his panic buttons.

Or is there too many restrictions to an EBAY account (personal info) that prevents this from being an effective tactic.

I can just see the non-anonymous Bidders name.

ReplicaCollector (0) - highest bidder $1,000,000

I would imagine that it is a no-win situation for the scammer to have a winning "absurd amount bid", as it would force him to De-list his scam and try to move onto other prey?

There is no way he could win an argument from Paypal or EBAY over a $million dollar bid and a obvious Replica pictured by him, which would include back up details to the EBAy ppl that are investigating his scam.

Does it sound like something like this could work?

Edited by BigSlickAK

• 1 month later...
Do you think it would be worthwhile to sign up an account primarily for the purpose of bidding on all these Scammer's watches?

Imagine some ridiculous amount that would open the eyes of everyone currently bidding.

At the same time report to EBAY staff that the item as fake, and cover all grounds by e-mailing the Seller for more info and push all his panic buttons.

Or is there too many restrictions to an EBAY account (personal info) that prevents this from being an effective tactic.

I can just see the non-anonymous Bidders name.

ReplicaCollector (0) - highest bidder $1,000,000

I would imagine that it is a no-win situation for the scammer to have a winning "absurd amount bid", as it would force him to De-list his scam and try to move onto other prey?

There is no way he could win an argument from Paypal or EBAY over a $million dollar bid and a obvious Replica pictured by him, which would include back up details to the EBAy ppl that are investigating his scam.

Does it sound like something like this could work?

Just came across this post and thought I'd add my own experiences.....

About two years ago I reported a whole series of very obvious scams on ebay.....

Ebay acted; but THEN turned on me. I have NEVER listed or sold a rep ANYWHERE. But suddenly Ebay started ending MY auctions because I was supposedly breeching one policy or another. One particular come to mind where I was listing a particularly cheap quartz watch. At one point I was told it hand been ended because it was an 'informational product' and was under the wrong category.... I was given the usual run-around by Ebay; passed from pillar to post.... I ENDED the madness by 'phoning them up from my business address. I happen to run a video production Company. I told them that I was researching an expose' on their activities and cited this particular issue...

At first I was met with incredulity.... But my Company IS real; it's listed at Companies house, and I am known as a documentary maker.

I guess they checked!

Guess what? :D They ate pie! :rolleyes: Promised they'd investigate and deal with the individuals responsible....

But I wonder how many others who don't happen to have a production Company at their disposal Ebay have bullied into submission...

My point is that with Ebay, routinely reporting scams is just as likely to get you into hot water than actually running them! If Ebay weren't into cloaking themselves in a sham veil of respectability it would actually be a MUCH safer place for both consumer and seller. As it is they're actually ENCOURAGING and supporting fraudsters by censoring those who don't mis-represent their reps.......

Edited by Qsub