When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Dial Font

cskent69

Ok - got a question for all of the PAM experts out there. While I love my PAM 063 (gen ETA 2893 movement, date wheel upgrade, cyclops upgrade coming, re-lume, etc) - i still cring whenever i look at the "Panerai" font on the dial. The low bar on the "A" just bugs me.

So - i am looking to get a Panerai model with a much closer Panerai font. I do not care about the other stuff on the watch which may be bad (crown, crown guard, etc). It is the font that kills me.

In my opinion - the two best current models with the correct font are:

1. New Ultimate Arktos 092

2. New GMT 089 (any version - but anthracite is fine

Does anyone out there think that there exists a model with a more accurate "Panerai" on the dial? Thanks for your feedback.

OK, I have the old skool PAM 063 as well. ETA 2893, Finepics datewheel, watchmen 6mm cyclops, super lumed hands and dial, Palp crown, Jimmy Fu CG. I am aware of the low bar A, but I really have to wonder how it can make you "cring" (sic). The PANERAI print on this dial is fairly small. Nothing like on a 111 dial, for example. Sure, if I really look closely, and compare to a 3x screen shot of the gen, I can see it. But, given the print size, I think were talking about a difference roughly the size of a human hair! Seriously! This modded 63 is easily, by far, my best rep in terms of accuracy. The A doesn't even come close to ruining that. Not by a long shot.

231653-11977.jpg

I am with Chieftang you make that trade. Don't let the A's get you down. It is not a manual base or marina. On a 63 there is so much going on between the hand stack and sweeping second hand that ain't no one staring at the "A" (except for you). ;)

On the 89, any color dial other than anthracite is the wrong color. :bangin: Now that would drive me nuts. :lol:

True guys, regarding the 063. I love the watch - it is my favorite. But hey, we wouldn't be on this board if we did not strive for perfection in inherently imperfect items. The modders anyway. The other stuff with the 063 does not bother me, like the fact that the dial minute number print is .5mm closer to the center than the gen - making the genuine hands that i have look too long.

When i look at watches - the first thing i look at on any watch is the brand logo. It is the essense of the product. That is why the Omega logo on the Ultimate PO 45.5 just kills me. When they go through THAT much trouble to make such a perfect copy - and can't take the extra $500 bucks to set up the machine to make the right logo it boggles the mind.

Of course the general population has no idea what we are talking about. Most don't even know what a Panerai is - but we don't wear watches for them - we wear them for ourselves. Heck - my watches are almost always under my shirt.

@chieftang - very nice 063. I have a jimmyfu crown guard as well - which i have not put on. I really can't see the difference - but that is just me. See? To others - that crown guard would bother them - but at least they have a chance to fix it. I will never be able to fix the "A" until a new generation of the 063 comes out and someone tries to get it right.

Thanks for the comments - keep them coming.

I am this close to getting a new Arktos. I was hoping that they would take the Ultimate Arktos improvements and put them into a Arktos GMT. I have decided that I am not that crazy about the blue faced North Pole. Too many blue faced watches as it is. :D

The dial and hands comment is very telling. Switching to other genuine parts can have additional consequences. I own gen crowns but when you stack them up against rep crown guards they often look worse than the better reps as the rep CG's have larger holes and so the rep crown compensates for it.

True guys, regarding the 063. I love the watch - it is my favorite. But hey, we wouldn't be on this board if we did not strive for perfection in inherently imperfect items. The modders anyway. The other stuff with the 063 does not bother me, like the fact that the dial minute number print is .5mm closer to the center than the gen - making the genuine hands that i have look too long.

When i look at watches - the first thing i look at on any watch is the brand logo. It is the essense of the product. That is why the Omega logo on the Ultimate PO 45.5 just kills me. When they go through THAT much trouble to make such a perfect copy - and can't take the extra $500 bucks to set up the machine to make the right logo it boggles the mind.

Of course the general population has no idea what we are talking about. Most don't even know what a Panerai is - but we don't wear watches for them - we wear them for ourselves. Heck - my watches are almost always under my shirt.

@chieftang - very nice 063. I have a jimmyfu crown guard as well - which i have not put on. I really can't see the difference - but that is just me. See? To others - that crown guard would bother them - but at least they have a chance to fix it. I will never be able to fix the "A" until a new generation of the 063 comes out and someone tries to get it right.

@cskent69 - I wasn't criticizing you for noticing the A. Heaven knows how anal I myself am about the details... But I just don't think it's noticeable. And not because of the hand stack or the sweeping seconds hand... I'm saying even if you stare at it and a gen side by side without magnification, it's not going to stand out. Oh and by the way, that picture I posted wasn't my watch. It was a gen. Hopefully you didn't see the low bar A in that pic. See? It's deceiving. :) One thing I would like to be able to fix is the GMT hand. It's far too long.

On the PO 45.5, just clip off the tails on the logo that shouldn't be there. Finepics did this first (that I know of) and it looks great.

As far as the Jimmy Fu CG goes, it was necessary on mine. I bought my 063 from a board member after they'd been discontinued. and he had replaced the CG with a terrible one that had floppy lever syndrome and was far too thin. I don't know why. But the Jimmy Fu is perfect. And even more than how it looks is how it feels. The lever feels just like a genuine CG lever.

Oops, you beat me to it. :D

I'm glad somebody said it instead of me.

I would never wear a Bentley, Prada, LV, Ferrari, Porsche, AMG Benz watch, etc... It's just silly!

Do I have to buy a Rolls for my Jaeger LeCoultre?

Or a stinkin' Lincoln for my Bulgari?

Remember though, this is JMHO.