When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting busted by customs?

marinlicina

I was about to receive a replica I ordered for a friend today, but it didn't arrive. Phoned FedEx and they told me that the package will be delayed for 2 tot 3 days because it is being examined by the customs (I live in the Netherlands, but their policy is the same in all EU).

Has anyone had something like this happen? What are the chances of them conficscating the watch (my guess is pretty high :unsure:)?

Are there any good dealers who ship FROM the EU, so I can bypass customs?

Any members from the EU who can reccomend me a dealer?

I had same problem with shipment from Asia.

Customs destroyed the watch.

Fortunately i had made an agreement with the dealer before buying and she resent another for no cost.

Never use EMS or courier company, always recorded mail.

EU dealers are Precious Time, Narikaa & Homer...

Good luck, hope u got the watch anyway

Paul-BE

hello,

my new steelfish has been confiscated at fedex in the netherlands<_<

i had to sign a letter that customs send to me because it is not allowed importing replicas to the netherlands....duh... :huh:

the watch will definetly be destroyed(or the custom-officer is wearing my steelfish now,who knows?))

by signing that letter i will not be prosecuted because i "voluntarly" signed for it

what did you order ?

daan

by signing that letter i will not be prosecuted because i "voluntarly" signed for it

what did you order ?

daan

Hi Daan, thanks for the info. So it means that I have treated a customs officer to a free watch, just one of the benefits of being a Gestapo-FedEx-package-controller :thumbdown: And of course I'm looking forward to receiving that letter, should be fun.

By the way, what exactly are they charging you with? As far as I know, it's not illegal to own a replica, so do you get charged for buying one, or for importing?

Hi Daan, thanks for the info. So it means that I have treated a customs officer to a free watch, just one of the benefits of being a Gestapo-FedEx-package-controller :thumbdown: And of course I'm looking forward to receiving that letter, should be fun.

By the way, what exactly are they charging you with? As far as I know, it's not illegal to own a replica, so do you get charged for buying one, or for importing?

They'd probably charge you as an importer of counterfeit goods (since technically you are receiving the counterfeit goods from a forign country you are importing them.) I'd read all of said letter very VERY carefully before signing it, you may be able to just eat the cost of the watch and claim ignorance. It seems to me (though I am no lawyer, just using common sense here) that signing for the package is an admission of guilt, and may well leave you vulnerable to prosecution.

"Why no I don't know anything about a package from China. Why did I get this letter about one? I don't know anyone in china." Of course if you paid via bank transfer and your name is on the package... you're screwed. Either way best of luck.

you can own a thousand replicas in the netherlands as a hobby but you can't import them. :g:

when i signed the letter they will not proceed any prosecution :whistling:

this is what is says in dutch,i don't know what it means exactly in english

"om rechtsvervolging te voorkomen kunt u vrijwillig afstand doen van deze inbreukmakende goederen"

for me there was no way back because i called fedex asking for the package,that is what everyone on this topic advised me to do

so i would never call them asking where your package is

just sit and wait B)

My question is how does some customs officer even know it's a replica? Do they have a serial number database? Do they have an authorized dealer on standby 24/7 to take apart each watch that arrives and verify it's authenticity? There are many legitimate watch stores and dealers in places like Hong Kong, are they just going to destroy every watch that comes into your country?

hello,

my new steelfish has been confiscated at fedex in the netherlands<_<

i had to sign a letter that customs send to me because it is not allowed importing replicas to the netherlands....duh... :huh:

the watch will definetly be destroyed(or the custom-officer is wearing my steelfish now,who knows?))

what did you order ?

daan

Hmmm that's bad news. I feel sorry for your steelfish. But since when is the control in the Netherlands that good? I've imported about 10 reps to the Netherlands last year. Most were sent by Fedex, never had a problem. Maybe they have sharpened the control this year? In 2007 I just bought 1 watch, sent by Fedex and again no problem. This kind of messages are making me nervous because i want to order and import the cousteau diver in the near future.

Edited by bigmouth

My question is how does some customs officer even know it's a replica? Do they have a serial number database? Do they have an authorized dealer on standby 24/7 to take apart each watch that arrives and verify it's authenticity? There are many legitimate watch stores and dealers in places like Hong Kong, are they just going to destroy every watch that comes into your country?

If in doubt, a customs officer will regard it as illegal unless the oposite is proven. For watches, I would say you dont have to be very clever to suspect a luxury watch to be fake when sendt ininsured from China with a customs value of 7.34 USD, no papers a.s.o.. In their eyes it's either fake, or you are trying to avoid duties, both a bad thing.

Next to that, and more important, is that several countries in EU (even where legislation is not adopted yet) have created special entities dedicated to deal with counterfeit products who have cross-border cooperation and a common information system (CIS) where info is exchanged. And yes - they have a close cooperation with various industries, even some places decsribed as a 'partnership'.

To learn more about the activities carried out in EU to fight counterfeighting, some general info can be found here:

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l11016.htm

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l26057a.htm

Ya think about it , you just ordered a $30,000 Rolex and it comes through customs in a cheap cardboard folder with no documentation like said above and it's from China , that's a no brainer ...

The real Rolex would come with it's own security guard I would think plus not to many people would buy a $30,000 Rolex online ?

Zed

I bought an authentic Speedmaster from a reputable authentic watch dealer in Hong Kong, and had it shipped to me. Yes it came with box and papers, but so can a replica. Perhaps if you guys in the Netherlands don't want to lose your shipments, you should buy a box and papers from the dealer =)

...and pay VAT according to the estimated value of the gen ? :whistling: .