When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 113

phaedo

Greetings all,

I have not been too active on the forum at this stage, but have been reading as much as I can about everything I can. At first I couldn't see the point of the Panerai's, but they have started to grow on me. My question now is: Would I be best to start with the predictable 111, but I have come across the 113 with the white dial which I know I would like to have something with a white face. Not sure if they will end up being the type of watch I do like or not; I would rather make the first purchase count and know it is a watch I want to keep buying or not. Any suggestions?

Also, as to a movement question: how good is the asian unitas movement? I have searched but not really come across an answer. So really the question comes down to is it worth the extra money to go with the Swiss movement or not, given it is not the 7750 movement, my hope is it is reasonably reliable and not much of a worry. I have the previous model BCE, with the 7750, and after 6 months of hard use, it is still brilliant and running really accurately; guess I am one of the lucky ones to get a good movement there.

Otherwise, all I have to add is this will only be my second rep purchase, and want it to be a good decision!

The asian unitas is a very accurate movement and I have not had any probelms with any of mine. They are exceptionally accurate. You get several different upgrades when you spend the extra money for the 113G with the Swiss Unitas Movement. The cannon pin is perfect, crown guard is thicker, and well the movement is better. So if you decided to spend more realize that you are getting other 'upgrades' besides the movement.

I can show you some pictures of the 113G. First series has asian unitas second swiss. Appreciate the differences.

233978-11610.jpg

Notice difference in the bottom picture. Thicker CG.

233978-11611.jpg

Now the cannon pin

233978-11612.jpg

Swiss

233978-11613.jpg

The differences are subtle and hard to spot for the untrained eye.

Hope it helped

Thanks for the reply Epoch, have spent the day reading about the Pams and straps... may end up with a lot of straps I think. And think I will spend the extra for the goodies on Davidsens Swiss version rather than a cheaper Asian one, yes it is hard to see the differences, but with all the other bits added, it will be worth it I think. Just still thinking about whether the white face is the right way to go for the first Pam or not.

I would go for a swiss movement. It is a well known rock solid and very reliable movement which you can have repaired virtually every where and if you need spare parts or a replacement movement it is very easy to find.

My priority/logic is that firstly the watch has to work properly, and when that is acheived one can start thinking about cosmetics such as fonts etc. The reason I think like that is that if the watch does not work, it does not matter how nice font it has since it will still serve as paper weight.

Therefore I would suggest that you go for the very best watch available. To buy something cheaper and then start sending around for modifications I think will be more expensive.

Thanks for the reply Epoch, have spent the day reading about the Pams and straps... may end up with a lot of straps I think. And think I will spend the extra for the goodies on Davidsens Swiss version rather than a cheaper Asian one, yes it is hard to see the differences, but with all the other bits added, it will be worth it I think. Just still thinking about whether the white face is the right way to go for the first Pam or not.

@ phaedo:

here are my humble suggestions as a PAM addicted and modder that has gone quite a bit along the PAM way.

If you really are in doubt about the white vs black issue, then get a black one. This is the only way to really taste how a PAM feels and looks. If you get a white one you will soon find yourself wondering what if I got a black PAM, and you will spend your money again on another PAM.

Usually, white PAMs are for addicted who already satisfied their PAM thirst and want to try something different.

Else, if you are sure on the white one and your doubts are about ETA vs china only, then get the ETA model. Not because of the movement, but because of the added bits. The thicker crown alone is worth the difference.

And, BTW, welcome to this PAM madness! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I see you are already thinking about straps: that is a clear symptom of addiction.

sssurfer - thanks for giving me the answer I was looking for. It has helped - somewhat. Now I think I will go for a 113 still, but maybe also a 111. I guess the main reason for my initial query was would having the white face only not give a real entry into Pams, I would be looking at it wondering what the big deal was and how there are all these 'odd' people on the forum who can't get enough of them, and not having the 'right ' starting one leaves me out of that group. But as I said, maybe 2 will be better :) And yes, seeing all the extras on the Swiss version, I think it is the right way to go too.

But as I said, maybe 2 will be better :)

Member Esmarc once classified the Panerai addiction (that he called 'paneritis') in four stages:

1 - What is a PAM?

2 - Wow, a PAM!

3 - Where is my PAM?

4 - Where is my next PAM??!??

It seems as you are now directly jumping from stage 1 to stage 4 -- Congratulations! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

4 - Where is my next PAM??!??

It seems as you are now directly jumping from stage 1 to stage 4 -- Congratulations! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hope it doesn't happen too much, or I will have to cut down to visiting the strip clubs to only twice a week...

Edited by phaedo

• 3 months later...
I would go for a swiss movement. It is a well known rock solid and very reliable movement which you can have repaired virtually every where and if you need spare parts or a replacement movement it is very easy to find.

My priority/logic is that firstly the watch has to work properly, and when that is acheived one can start thinking about cosmetics such as fonts etc. The reason I think like that is that if the watch does not work, it does not matter how nice font it has since it will still serve as paper weight.

Therefore I would suggest that you go for the very best watch available. To buy something cheaper and then start sending around for modifications I think will be more expensive.

Thanks for that - I've been thinking of getting a Pam too after splashing out on Josh's submariner with the Swiss rather than the Asian movement - thing is, after spending money on the sub, I was thinking "hmm, can I justify the extra money for a Swiss engine in the Pam?". Which is kinda dumb, considering that the reason I bought the Swiss-engined sub rather than the cheaper Asian was for all those same reasons you just pointed out.

The reality of mechanical watches is that they will need servicing and repair at some point, and it's probably a wise move to choose a movement that can be worked on by most watchmakers - otherwise, as you say, the watch just becomes an expensive paperweight. As the phrase goes: "Buy cheap, buy twice..."

So I guess I'll just have to stump up. PS - really like that avatar Mrnixon - where did ya get it? Is it an illustration of Sherlock Holmes?