When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen's new 111/177 dial

slai

The text is still white...I'm wondering how I can "ivory-ize" the text. I have an extra dial I can test with so I welcome any suggestions before I send it out to have the dial installed.

I think to have read a post some time ago about someone making it off white with tea.

Just spill some tea on it, let it dry and see what happens. Be sure too test it on a spare dial, though.....;)

The text is still white...I'm wondering how I can "ivory-ize" the text.

I seem to remember someone once put the dial in a small closed environment filled with cigarette smoke...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry161442

This one looks better than some of the new 111's I've seen lately from davidsen. Cutouts are still too thick, and the numbers just have an "off" shape to them. L SWISS L is too bold. Overall nothing on the dial is WAY off, but the dial as a whole is still just not quite right. Not BAD though, not at all.

Would you say that this dial is the most accurate available at the moment?

There is no one blatant tell on the new davidsen dial, as there are on many of the other dealers' pam dials, but I'm tentative to say that this is the most accurate dial. It is nice though, for sure! And it comes superlumed, which you can't get straight from a dealer anywhere else.

I wouldn't use any liquid in direct touch with the dial...but that's just me.

I've used proven technique of 'desensitizing' the crisp white txt to a nice off-white/cream/salmon color that's alnost 100% match with the gen. Just ask Flavor Flav, he's just finished re-luming it :)

Basically, take a mid size glass jar, put a paper towel or similar on the bottom and place the dial on it facing up.

Then find a cigar, or a cigarette from which you've removed filter first. Take a smoke, mouthful, and exhale SLOWLY into the jar. As soon as you fill the jar with the smoke replace the cap.

Leave it like that for 15-20mins. At first you won't be able to observe much due to a heavy concentration of smoke, but after few minutes the smoke will settle, creating a micro layer of cigar tar. Remove the dial from the jar. You may be dissapointed with the result straight away asking yourself was it all worth the trouble, but don't despair - all you need to do is wipe the dial with a cotton bud or make-up remover pad (ever so slightly), and the tar from the dial will be evenly distributed across it, 'contaminating' the white txt letter to a shade mentioned above. Do not push that pad into the dial as you're likely to end up with a polished look, a definite no-no on gen PAMs of recent era.

Don't forget to do this procedure ALWAYS BEFORE re-luming, as the numerals and bar indices on the lower sandwich layer will also get contaminated. Also, make sure you remind the person doing the re-lume job to scrap the old dirty lume before he or she applies the new one.

Good luck, ...and you just own me $50 for this "how to" :)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

I just received the newest dial - I got a 177 couple months ago but there was a QC issue with one of the cutouts so he offered to send me his latest dial when it was ready. Here are the pics.

post-4874-1177165504_thumb.jpg

post-4874-1177165519_thumb.jpg

I hate to complain about davidsen's work because he is the only person on earth who is attempting to improve the accuracy of PAM dials, and I hope he takes the following comments in the spirit od admiration they're intended--but I think it's time for him to fire whoever is doing his graphics work. Even w/ my limited skills and knowledge it took me about two seconds to identify the problems w/ his new dial. I'd bet $1000 the cut out numbers were vectorized from a scan or pic of a gen dial--but done so with improperly configured sotware. I'm too lazy to explain how I can tell (except by PM to Davidsen) but the ends of the numbers are a giveaway. The kerning of the "Panerai, etc" which I bet was not traced but rather composed as text objects, is also off in relation to the H series gen, and as someone pointed out earlier the L-Swiss-L is too bold.

Two things bug me about the whole thing--when I was working on the vintage overlays I took some pretty intensive lessons from a neighbor who is an experienced talented graphic designer (a package designer for a HUGE candy company based near me)--and she repeated over and over: copying something 90% is the hard part. getting it from 90% to 100% is easy--once you use your skills to get it close you just continually overlay your work against the original and tweak until it matches. It would take a decent designer less than 15 minutes to get davidsen's dial from where it is to 1:1...It's almost as if hours were spent on the project and the last ten minutes were just completely blown off. My guess is nobody involved feels the need to cater to us nutcases, and that good enough is good enough.

I wouldn't use any liquid in direct touch with the dial...but that's just me.

I've used proven technique of 'desensitizing' the crisp white txt to a nice off-white/cream/salmon color that's alnost 100% match with the gen. Just ask Flavor Flav, he's just finished re-luming it :)

Basically, take a mid size glass jar, put a paper towel or similar on the bottom and place the dial on it facing up.

Then find a cigar, or a cigarette from which you've removed filter first. Take a smoke, mouthful, and exhale SLOWLY into the jar. As soon as you fill the jar with the smoke replace the cap.

Leave it like that for 15-20mins. At first you won't be able to observe much due to a heavy concentration of smoke, but after few minutes the smoke will settle, creating a micro layer of cigar tar. Remove the dial from the jar. You may be dissapointed with the result straight away asking yourself was it all worth the trouble, but don't despair - all you need to do is wipe the dial with a cotton bud or make-up remover pad (ever so slightly), and the tar from the dial will be evenly distributed across it, 'contaminating' the white txt letter to a shade mentioned above. Do not push that pad into the dial as you're likely to end up with a polished look, a definite no-no on gen PAMs of recent era.

Don't forget to do this procedure ALWAYS BEFORE re-luming, as the numerals and bar indices on the lower sandwich layer will also get contaminated. Also, make sure you remind the person doing the re-lume job to scrap the old dirty lume before he or she applies the new one.

Good luck, ...and you just own me $50 for this "how to" :)

cheers,

babola

I did this awhile back. The result looks good. But I decided to wipe it off because it left a film on the black dial which I though looked strange. Strange like the dial looked dirty. Or maybe... I'm strange. LOL Here's some pics.

238195-10643.jpg

Did you clean the dial like he said? Would there be a way of covering wha tyou didn't want to get discolored?

I did this awhile back. The result looks good. But I decided to wipe it off because it left a film on the black dial which I though looked strange. Strange like the dial looked dirty. Or maybe... I'm strange. LOL Here's some pics.

238220-10640.jpg

Did you clean the dial like he said? Would there be a way of covering wha tyou didn't want to get discolored?

There was a brown film on the dial. To me it didn't shine right.

I don't think he mentioned cleaning the dial. Just smudge the tar around. And it would be a pain staking task to cover just the painted parts.

Call me crazy but there is a certain way that these dials shine.

There was a brown film on the dial. To me it didn't shine right.

I don't think he mentioned cleaning the dial. Just smudge the tar around. And it would be a pain staking task to cover just the painted parts.

Call me crazy but there is a certain way that these dials shine.

Maybe I should have said:

Warning !

Individual results may vary !

:)

Honestly, no brown or dirty 'film' on my dial, I compared it afterwards with my other sandwich dial and it looked identical, except for the darkened dial txt.

I didn't so much "smudge the tar around", just very lightly wiped the dial with the cotton bud, like the one women use as a make-up remover, it accentuated the ivory color of the text and no dirt or brown tar layer were left on the dial, well not visible one, anyway. It also preserved that matte finish, H-series PAM dials are known for.

I'm currently in Europe for few more weeks, so no pics of my 111H to be posted yet. I only took my Logo Base with me.

cheers,

babola

Maybe I should have said:

Warning !

Individual results may vary !

:)

Honestly, no brown or dirty 'film' on my dial, I compared it afterwards with my other sandwich dial and it looked identical, except for the darkened dial txt.

I didn't so much "smudge the tar around", just very lightly wiped the dial with the cotton bud, like the one women use as a make-up remover, it accentuated the ivory color of the text and no dirt or brown tar layer were left on the dial, well not visible one, anyway. It also preserved that matte finish, H-series PAM dials are known for.

I'm currently in Europe for few more weeks, so no pics of my 111H to be posted yet. I only took my Logo Base with me.

cheers,

babola

I don't have a 111H yet, but after reading babols's post I tried this last night w/ an old 111E dial just for kicks--IMO you do have to wipe off the dial to restore the slight "speckled" appearance that the dial has out of the box (don't know if that's accurate to gen H's or not). On my first attempt I tried a cotton ball, but got too close to the lettering and wiped too much of the cigarette "ink" off of the lettering, which BTW wasn't too even to begin with. On my second attempt I used a cotton ball for the majority of the dial and then a Q-Tip, on which I pulled and then twisted the cotton into a sort of paintbrush to do around the lettering--it's going to take some practice, but I think that will work for most.

Babola, what I'm not clear on is do you want to lightly hit the "dyed" lettering w/ the cotton to smooth it out or try to avoid it entirely?

Now all we need is an accurate H series guard to make changing the color of the text worthwhile, but that's a different thread.

I don't have a 111H yet, but after reading babols's post I tried this last night w/ an old 111E dial just for kicks--IMO you do have to wipe off the dial to restore the slight "speckled" appearance that the dial has out of the box (don't know if that's accurate to gen H's or not). On my first attempt I tried a cotton ball, but got too close to the lettering and wiped too much of the cigarette "ink" off of the lettering, which BTW wasn't too even to begin with. On my second attempt I used a cotton ball for the majority of the dial and then a Q-Tip, on which I pulled and then twisted the cotton into a sort of paintbrush to do around the lettering--it's going to take some practice, but I think that will work for most.

Babola, what I'm not clear on is do you want to lightly hit the "dyed" lettering w/ the cotton to smooth it out or try to avoid it entirely?

Now all we need is an accurate H series guard to make changing the color of the text worthwhile, but that's a different thread.

Just slightly wipe the dial entirely (including txt) - ever so slightly though, making sure you don't press on the dial.

Great effort !

cheers,

babola