When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new hobby has begun.......

Pete

Having bought Narikaa's strap adjusting toolkit I then bought a movement holder £5, finger puller £3, tiny bottle of meobius oil £3, one drop auto oiler £2, glass fibre pen £3 and attacked my 30yr old watch from my teens....... It wouldn't go and is worthless so I had the perfect victim. It now runs and keeps good time! there was a speck of black ? in between two teeth of the cog driven by the main spring. My question is, how do I get the oil from the tiny bottle into the oiler ? the oiler is a plastic tube with a screw on cap at each end , one end has a tiny metal tube sticking out, if I tip the oil bottle upside down it just sits there without pouring, I dipped the tube in the end to oil the watch ( prob messed that bit up but it is at least running ).

Some pics....the movement is REMEX 2641 made in HONG KONG one jewel ( but I found three, one either end of the balance and a single one under the wheel that goes into the escapement). I found the hardest bit was putting the date wheel back together as there is a tiny ratchet that keeps flying apart when you put the plate over it.

Uncased ready to start,

21858-1898.jpg

The other side

21858-1899.jpg

Fingers off and dial off

21858-1900.jpg

Datewheel off

21858-1901.jpg

Front empty

21858-1902.jpg

Balance wheel out

21858-1903.jpg

Bridge removed

21858-1904.jpg

Improvised parts holder, it was a container of blank cd's but the bottom spacer is divided into handy sections and there's a plastic cover for the whole thing to keep dust off.

21858-1905.jpg

Finally the watch back together and running

21858-1906.jpg

Having bought Narikaa's strap adjusting toolkit I then bought a movement holder £5, finger puller £3, tiny bottle of meobius oil £3, one drop auto oiler £2, glass fibre pen £3 and attacked my 30yr old watch from my teens....... It wouldn't go and is worthless so I had the perfect victim. It now runs and keeps good time! there was a speck of black ? in between two teeth of the cog driven by the main spring. My question is, how do I get the oil from the tiny bottle into the oiler ? the oiler is a plastic tube with a screw on cap at each end , one end has a tiny metal tube sticking out, if I tip the oil bottle upside down it just sits there without pouring, I dipped the tube in the end to oil the watch ( prob messed that bit up but it is at least running ).

Well before I answer the question on putting oil into the oiler, it's important to note that there are more than one type of oil needed when oiling a watch. I have 4 types of oils and one grease that I use when servicing watches.

I am not sure what type of oil you have, or the type of oiler you have. At $2 for the oiler, I doubt it will have the required accuracy for dispensing a accurate amount of oil. The automatic oiler I use cost $80 and it is the only one I know that is accurate.

Filling my oiler is done with removal of the resovoir and filling it up by dipping a screwdrive in the oil, and letting it run off into the oiler resovoir.

I recommend you get hand oilers, a black and yellow one, these two will cover all your oiling needs...but oiling in itself is an art, and requires precision and knowing the type and quantity of lubricant depending on the load and size of the pivots and the stress they are under...I can't teach you that part, but if you are interested in learning it on your own, the Time Zone site has an excellent course you can take...

RG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks The Zigmeister,

I had a look at the Timezone courses, if I took the second one without the first would I miss much ?

I'm mainly interested at this point in gaining the ability to clean and oil my own reps as I get them.

I have now bought Donald De Carle's book Practical Watch Repairing which I'm digesting.....

the oil BTW is Moebius 8000/4 ? the oiler is simply a very fine metal tube attached to a plastic reservoir.

I also have just bought an ETA 2840 V8-Z2B off Ebay to play with, do you know of a referance site for this movement ? the ETA website doesn't appear to list it, it is an automatic and marked as having 23jewels.

Re eyeglasses, I already had a 3" loupe from my days in the '70s when I was an instrument engineer ( C&G qualified ! no less ) , I worked on pneumatic and electronic measuring and recording instruments usually used in power stations at the time so am not a stranger to close up tweezer and screwdriver work, I was wondering if the clip on loupes meant for spectacle wearers could be used minus the spectacle lenses ( 48yrs old and so far not needed correction ) to give a better binocular view or are the lenses no use on their own ?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete