When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question concerning Submariner 1680 mods

Was wondering if anybody had any advise on which (or whos) vintage 1680 Submariner rep. (besides a MBW-looking around $150 usd range) best accepts genuine parts. I was given a well aged submariner dial and a new tropic crystal that I would like to install into a vintage rep. I'm not to worried about cgs, I can modify those no problem. I may go ahead and install a gen. tube and crown. I read here that some vintage reps will not accept a genuine dial.

This is Andrew's (Trusty Time) tag over at his site for the top grade vintage watches.

"These are TOP GRADES Vintage Rolex pieces that were made 1:1 from the genuine pieces. All of them has top quality case and bracelets and made with vintage Plexi Glass crystal which is thick and domed."

I don't know if it is true or not, because if it is 1:1 then I imagine they should except gen parts. As a word of caution, from what I have read and understand, nothing but vintage MBW will take gen parts. TT's top grade vintage cost $188.00 plus shipping $30.00 dollars if I remember correctly? I'm actually going to be selling my TT's 1680 Red Sub with a nice blk/gry NATO strap, modified CG's and lugs for about $140.00 in a few days. If interested PM me and I'll shoot you some picts.

Andrew is my favorite seller, but I actually read here that someone tried to install a genuine dial in one his vintage models and the gen dial was too small in diameter for the case. After looking around from site to site. It appears to me that there may be just 2 different cases used in most all $188.00 and below vintage subs.