When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Source for the last brown dial 203

sssurfer

I posted this elsewhere, but as I feel it might go underlooked I am repeating it here to anyone interested.

I recently found what looked as a source for the last brown dial 203s available (you know they are sold out by our usual dealers here).

I ordered two, and I received one so far so I can post my finding. I may confirm it was as expected. Brown dial actually.

So, to anyone interested, the source is:

tonyxkf (from HK).

Email: tonyxkf@hotmail.com

You may see his pieces and prices on CQout (but he prefers to get in touch via email).

The 203 is at:

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=2536174

at a very convenient price.

Thanks for sharing! I've just finished my 203... it's an Auto with C3 superlume, AR sapphire, MPXI strap - looks like I'm going to have to do it all again, I just pulled the plug on this one, I couldn't resist (also I've been waiting on Joshua to deliver the correct CG as promised for just over 9 months now). I'll post a pic when it's arrived and fully modded - I've also got a fully modded Graham on genuine strap to add to the picture show!

I'll post pics ASAP (now it is weekend time = family time).

But right now I can say:

Dial is a very dark brown. One can tell it's brown only side-to-side with a black one, or in full light.

No doubt it is brown, though. I would say it is very close to the gen nuance I saw on gen pics from the net.

I also have a gen pic on a official OP catalogue, but it looks black there even if it is stated as brown in the text (I suppose this confirms it is a very dark brown).

No doubt it is sandwich too.

All the inscriptions on the dial ('LUMINOR PANERAI' and the round '8 GIORNI BREVETTATO') are a little thinner and off-white with respect to those on the black dial. This results in less bold and bright inscriptions. I am unsure if this is closer to the gen or what.

Crown guard is incorrect. We'll have to replace the CG with one from a black dial / asian 21J watch.

Tony informed me that all those pieces are sold out now (I also know that only one of you got his one, sorry for that).

If anyone wants to check other Tony's watches, he has fair prices on the fiddies too. But the brown dial 203 is out.

Source closed.

Back to the movement now...

• 2 weeks later...

I paid for it about 20 minutes after you posted this thread, but there's no watch! He claims it was damaged and he couldn't send it - I explained I was only after the dial anyway (!) but no luck. I don't know if anybody else pulled the trigger and got the same response, I'd be interested to see a few photos when yours arrives, though.

Ouch, sorry to hear that, rmcsherry!

As I said, Tony told me he could satisfy only one request. Now I wonder whether it was your order or else. If it was, then it seems that my pieces were the last ones.

I got two 'cos I wanted a backup copy in case anything goes wrong with the modding I planned. If all goes ok, maybe I will sell the extra one.

I also omitted to post pics as there were no more pieces available, so I supposed there was no interest for pics anymore.

But as you are still interested I'll post pics ASAP.

I was interested to see how close the colour is to the gen 203 out of curiosity! I'm not too worried about the lost sale - I've spent a fortune on reps recently, and the money is better of in the vintage projects I've got on the go. The auto 203 has the correct position of the seconds@9, no recessed pin and the hands aren't a million miles away from the gen cal.240 ones - it's just annoying that the tobacco dial was never released in this model. There's something so much nicer about brown dial PAM's - I think I'll have to settle for an 036 instead...

Here are the pics.

Natural light:

249081-8078.jpg

Flash light:

249081-8079.jpg

Side-to-side with a black dial one (black on the left), natural light:

249081-8080.jpg

Flash light:

249081-8081.jpg

you lucky guy

i want one :wounded1:

Hi Tourby,

as I said, once that all moddings will have gone ok, it's highly likely that I'll put the extra one out for sale.

And I don't even plan to make money from it.

But naturally, modding will include finding a SF240... or just a decent substitute... ;)