When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium - Scratches

Guest avitt

Titanium is funny stuff...It's actually quite easy to scratch the surface (and just as easy to polish out the scratches, with a pen eraser). However, if you ever try to remove a significant amount of the metal, with a file or sandpaper, you'll find out how hard it really is.

So, it's soft on the surface, but hard as a rock beneath...Hey, just like me B)

ti is not particularly hard :p

ti watches accumulate scratches very easily. i've had 10-12 ti watches and the only ones that did not scratch easily were japan market citizens with their proprietary 'dura-tect' surface coating. i believe breitling(???) also has a surface coat on some models.

ti is not nearly as hard as steel. that's why you have never seen a knife blade made of ti (ok, someone will mention the mission MPF. but it's edge and edge holding characteristics sucked and it was a specialty piece made to be non-magnetic for EOD personnel). ti will not take a good edge or hold one like steel.

it is a bit more difficult to machine than steel but not bad with the right tooling ;)

Guest avitt
it is a bit more difficult to machine than steel but not bad with the right tooling ;)

What is the characteristic that makes Ti difficult to machine? (Difficulty is what I experienced when I tried to sand down a Ti crown guard).

• 2 weeks later...

Ti is actually pretty soft... it's not just the surface. Ti is light and and strong in it's own way... but it's almost as easy to scratch as aluminum. SS is far more scratch resistant. Anodized Ti has a very hard surface...