When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CD Player recommendations

jkerouac

My current CD player is skipping, the drawer sticks, and it has finally reached the point where I am ready to make a change. It's a good player, a Denon, and it has served me well for something like 15 years without even a service. Part of me says that I should get it serviced, that these problems are not serious enough to put this player out to pasture, but I'm sure that service would cost at least $100-$150 and for that I might as well invest in a player that meets today's more advanced specs and will hopefully last me for another 10-15 years, by which time my CD collection will probably be ready for a museum.

In any case, I'm looking at getting a 5-CD player. This is a music system exclusively, so I am not interested in a combo DVD/video-audio type deck.

The units I am looking at are the Denon DCM-390

and the Marantz CC4001

My original research leaned toward the Denon, but the audio dealer recommended the Marantz, arguing that Marantz is the more reliable unit. Both are approximately $350.

Does anyone have experience with either of these players?

The only CD and DVD players I have owned is Sony. I don't like any of Sony's other components but their players always serve me well. I have a 5 disc cd/dvd changer with progressive scan and I couldn't be happier. Also the prices are great. I don't feel that you get much better performance from the more expensive models. The next step up would be in the $1,500 range.

I only have listening experiences with various Denon and Marantz CDPs.

My take is the Marantz house sound is a rounder & smoother presentation. Perhaps a tad less detailed than the Denon but if you have bright speakers/system, the Marantz may be a better match. They build very good machines and have a generous warranty.

More Info: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MACC4001

The Denon has a brighter and more forward presentation (at least the ones I've listened to) which would be a better match for laid back & darker type speaker music systems.

It depends on the music system you have & personal preferences. You might play with them and check the transport mechanisms for smoothness of operation. I addition, check the warranty coverage and periods of the two. A heavier unit will also tend to have a more solid chassis, which is a good thing in a CDP.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I found surprisingly little comparative information via a number of Web searches, but had a hunch that I would get some insightful suggestions if I posted here. RWG members rock!

I've purchased Sony in the past (who on this planet could avoid buying at least something from them?!) and have had good experiences, starting with my first receiver purchased while I was a freshman in college 30+ years ago. And I use a Sony dubbing cassette deck, which works well for the tasks that I use it for.

Regarding the Marantz vs. Denon decision, I think the Marantz has a very slight edge in the feature department, but a considerable 3-year to 1-year advantage in the warranty department. The denon offers slightly wider availability, but the best prices are from Web retailers offering no warrantly whatsoever! If you add in an optional third-party warranty (which I would otherwise not even consider) then the differences in price are fairly small.

I have a Rotel amp and Linn speakers, which deliver a very detailed and warm sound for classical and jazz, which I listen to most frequently. So I'll need to decide whether the sound quality of the Marantz is up to my expectations. Considering the age of the unit that it would be compared to, I think the comparison should be favorable.

I think I'll stop at my local dealer on the way home. Thanks again.