When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Found perfect spring bars for Silix rubber strap and 45mm Ultimate PO

finisterre

All good stuff.

I received a Silix strap with 1.5mm springbars supplied.

Result - gap to case and it popped out. Looked rubbish.

Changed to 1.8mm springbars (22mm wide). The holes had to have all the crap cleaned out because the 1.8mm's simply could not pass through.

Result - gap to case and it popped out. Looked rubbish.

Why no difference - because the strap is too short in the contact area. It's missing some rubber - you can see the metal insert inside because it's not properly covered.

Having done a few sketches on this, I think that the problem is the mould quality on these straps, not simply changing to 1.8mm springbars.

If the strap was moulded too short, it's missing material.

From the centre of the hole to the contact face, that distance is too short. Hence gap and hence popping out.

If it's just a little too short (say 0,1 - 0,2mm) then a thicker springbar moves the contact face a fraction closer. That may be enough to give the appearance that it now fits OK.

But if it's too short - like mine (even with 1.8mm springbars there's a 1mm gap to the watch case) then regardless of the springbar, it'll never fit properly. it's simply missing material.

This can happen due to the mould they're using, or the moulding process. Not injecting enough rubber, not vulcanising long enough, or when it cools it shrinks too much. Process calculation error...

Production process quality issue .......! Who want's to visit the moulder then ?

Summary - I think it's hit or miss between what strap you receive and how it ended up after moulding, and the watch you're fitting to.

I used 2mm spring bars on this strap as I found with the 1.8mm ones the strap would be fine for a while and then the strap woul dstart "popping" out. It was difficult to get the 2mm bars through. What I did is held the strap in a vice( using a couple cloths and some wood to grip it) and tapped a nail with a diameter of about 1.8-1.9mm through the hole. I then pulled the nail back out, ran a small amount of washing up liquid down th ehole and gently tapped in the 2mm spring bars. The strap is now very securely against the edge of the watch.

I was not paying much attention on this topic as of now that I finally got my UPO 45 mm.

By reading this topic , I understand that no clear cut solution has been founded yet regarding Silix's rubber strap (fit for 45mm UPO) and the various spring bars tried

• 4 weeks later...