When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone taken the GMAT?

slay

i will be takin the GMAT next year or the year after and i want to know what kind of preparation i need.

a high score is necessary for me to get accepted at the college i want to go to (they dont accept my "abitur" from germany or my high school diploma from the usa). what will i be studying? business&management

so was it any hard? my GPA was pretty high, 4 something (high school was pretty damn easy for me... way easier than school in germany!) so what can i expect from the test? and what kind of questions are they going to ask me?

i appreciate any help i can get on that topic!

Edited by slay

i will be takin the GMAT next year or the year after and i want to know what kind of preparation i need.

a high score is necessary for me to get accepted at the college i want to go to (they dont accept my "abitur" from germany or my high school diploma from the usa). what will i be studying? business&management

so was it any hard? my GPA was pretty high, 4 something (high school was pretty damn easy for me... way easier than school in germany!) so what can i expect from the test? and what kind of questions are they going to ask me?

In referring to the abitur (allgemeine Hochschulreife), and your high school diploma, it seems clear that you are not pursuing graduate level academics at this time, although it may be that you are applying to one of our better US business colleges that may require a GMAT score for admission, as opposed to the more commonly required ACT or SAT.

The way it generally works is, you take the ACT/SAT to see if you are adequately prepared for college and then, after completing the four your college program, you take the GMAT to see iif you are adequately prepared to pursue a graduate MBA in business.

I think you are probably mistaken, but if you are correct, the GMAT is going to bust your balls. Try the following.

http://www.testprepreview.com/gmat_practice.htm

In any event, there are many free practice tests available on the Internet, and study materials offered as well.

Bill

My SAT and GrE days are well behind me, but if I recall correctly you can take these tests more than once, and submit the results of your choosing with your college/grad school applications. The practice tests are excellent, both to get a preliminary notion of where you stand, and to start to put yourself in the mindset needed to complete the tests successfully.

Good luck.

GMATs are hard, just like the SAT's.

Scoring is similar but somewhat different as it works on an 800 point scale instead of 1600 for SATs.

Good grad schools will require several years of work experience before allowing you in irregardless of your scores, others wont care...but you will get more out of a "B" program if your associates are in the workforce as you can measure and learn from them as well.

Good Scores are above 600.

Like the previous posts, take the practice exams first.

Although you can re-take the GMATs for than once, the score get averaged when applying to school

So, if you bomb on the first one and hit 500, then retake and hit 700, your school of choice will only recognize 600

Also, some schools run formulas, such as College GPA x 200 plus GMAT score to rank applicants.

Please double check as each university has its own formulas, but this is what I recall way back when.

i am NOT taking the test at a high school! my high school days are LONG OVER!

the thing is, i'm not going to study in germany. i wanna study somewhere else and that particular university does not accept my "Abitur" or diploma (in germany you just need a good GPA on your abitur to get accepted at a college).

they said nothing about me taking SAT's and such... but they require foreign ppl to take the GMAT and they will only take the best, because the slots for students who dont reside in the country of the university are highly limited. and they obviously only want the best (its a very good university! not the best, but one of the best)

and i can take the GMAT as many times as i want and can submit my best score (at least thats what they told me)

btw. the university i'm talkin about is in St. Gallen, switzerland, if anyone knows anything about that school, let me know!

If you are serious about this and you really are taking the GMAT's as opposed to the SAT's, take a full fledged course. A very wise person gave me the heads up. Thank god. Although it was many years ago, there were two sections which have nothing to do with common sense or business experience. There are simple rules that the teachers will teach you that will ensure you get everything in those sections right as opposed to wrong. This is coming from someone who (immodestly but accurately speaking) had one of the highest scores in the nation for SAT's and went on to an unnamed but most prestigious university in the U.S prior to taking the test. I was fortunate and ended up with solid scores, but I know full well that if I hadn't taken the course I would have done poorly. But I have never heard of taking the GMAT for college. The good news is that you can take it as many times as you want and I believe only the score of your choice gets sent.

can i use a calculator during the test? those questions i looked at... lets say not easy! i can solve them, but i need a calculator!

and btw. thanks for the tip with the course... i thought about taking one, but now i will definetly take AT LEAST one!

Edited by slay

hmm, some of the questions they asked seemed to be way to easy if you are allowed to use a calculator... but some seem impossible to solve without calculator!

looks like i'll have to study very hard when i do my military service!