When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gentlemen; if I may call upon your wisdom....

Qsub

Gentlemen,

I find myself somewhat confused.

Having purchased a genuine 16800 crown for one of my Subs I obviously now need to acquire and fit the correct crown tube.

Could I possibly call upon some one of the experienced members to advise me what size/part number I need? I shall probably order a generic from Cousins.

I would also very much appreciate it if someone could advise the correct size of drills and taps I shall require; preferably in millimetres. One tutorial refers to something called a 'number 10' drill; Not part of a sizing scheme that is familiar to me.

I have a few projects in progress and it WOULD very definitely be a good thing if I had the correct tools to replace all my rep crowns with genuine.

Regards,

Q

I would also very much appreciate it if someone could advise the correct size of drills and taps I shall require; preferably in millimetres. One tutorial refers to something called a 'number 10' drill; Not part of a sizing scheme that is familiar to me.

Google "numbered drill sizes" and you'll have your answer...all the information is out there, it only takes a bit of effort to find it.

RG

Google "numbered drill sizes" and you'll have your answer...all the information is out there, it only takes a bit of effort to find it.

RG

'twas one of the first things I did.

(Unlike some I only ask for help where I feel my own efforts are inadequate... You'll find this is actually the first question I've ever asked here!)

... and one finds several different charts which seem to not-quite agree with each other. which to believe? I stopped and asked when I happened upon the 5th differing opinion!

Add to that the need to convert from fractions of an inch to millimeteres (with the possible mathmatical error involved) and, with such small scales involved, we have a recipe for relatively serious error. I've involved myself in various projects on a similar scale relating to optical equipment, and know only too well that minor cumulative errors can lead to pieces being ruined.

Ideally I'd like to find out what Rolex's own specifications are for the necessary holes and threads, AND buy the appropriate tools for the job.

Thank you for clarifying the tube number Ubiquitous; much appreciated.

Regards,

Q

'twas one of the first things I did.

(Unlike some I only ask for help where I feel my own efforts are inadequate... You'll find this is actually the first question I've ever asked here!)

... and one finds several different charts which seem to not-quite agree with each other. which to believe? I stopped and asked when I happened upon the 5th differing opinion!

Add to that the need to convert from fractions of an inch to millimeteres (with the possible mathmatical error involved) and, with such small scales involved, we have a recipe for relatively serious error. I've involved myself in various projects on a similar scale relating to optical equipment, and know only too well that minor cumulative errors can lead to pieces being ruined.

Ideally I'd like to find out what Rolex's own specifications are for the necessary holes and threads, AND buy the appropriate tools for the job.

Thank you for clarifying the tube number Ubiquitous; much appreciated.

Regards,

Q

Drills are sold everywhere in numbered or lettered sizes, it's fairly common... No idea why the charts are different, but my drill set is a 60-1 numbered set, bought it at Sears.

I doubt you will ever find the specs that rolex uses, other than the crown tube threads which are 3.0mm, the rest is straight forward, it's a trial and error fit of the tube to the case.

RG

Drills are sold everywhere in numbered or lettered sizes, it's fairly common... No idea why the charts are different, but my drill set is a 60-1 numbered set, bought it at Sears.

I doubt you will ever find the specs that rolex uses, other than the crown tube threads which are 3.0mm, the rest is straight forward, it's a trial and error fit of the tube to the case.

RG

The Zigmeister, with all due respect, I'm sorry but you are mistaken in your first statement. As it happens I've just retuned from my local branch of B&Q, and ALL they have are metric bits? The reason for this is simple. I'm in the UK. They stopped teaching me 'feet and inches' when I was six... Which was 38 years ago! And numbered drill bits; whilst possibly available here , are not something I've ever encountered. There isn't a Sears for a couple of thousand miles! What's 'everywhere' in one country isn't necessarily so in another....

Much as we might resist the influence of the EU on Britain has been to eradicate much of our imperial sizing. I think at one point they were trying to make it ILLEGAL to buy Oranges by the pound! Insanity I know. But to be fair it makes engineering more of a level playing field EXCEPT where you have to translate between metric and the various flavours of imperial.

A wise engineer measures twice, checks his dimensions, measures again THEN cuts!

Now, no doubt someone can direct me to a local-ish source of these numbered drills. But in 30 -odd years of tinkering with everything from model steam engines to Landrovers and Box Brownies to Arriflexes I can't even recall ever seeing one! As for dimensions given in fractions of an inch... These are something my 65-year old Father (a qualified electro-mechanical engineer and former lecturer in that discipline) even has to consult his 'little red books' over..... Whilst I can tell you that Glasgow is almost 40 miles away and my office needs a 15'X20' carpet ...any division of an inch other than 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 is actually REALLY hard to visualise for me!

Conversion charts (in general) tend to vary a bit depending on who compiled them and by what method. Some adhere to satutory standards; which is fine except satute varies from country to country. Some seem to compiled by a wizzened ol' guy using the slide-rule function on his watch!. Others seem to be devised by chopping the limbs of minor local potentates and cutting them into increasingly smaller pieces. I guess that's where the I.S.O. step in....

Thank you for confirming the tube thread size. That, in all sincerity, does help immensely as it clarifies otherwise confusing data from other sources. A certain 'batty' materials house supplier would like me to spend almost sixty quid ($120) by the time shipping is added on his 'special' Rolex case thread tap... If this is a simple 3.0mm metric thread then he can go :whistling:

Regards and thanks

Q

Not to digress too much, but just something I occassionally find amusing...

It's funny how metric is the widely used method of measurement for the majority of the world, yet STANDARD (which, by the name would imply the standard) is only really used in the U.S.

Don't mind me... I'm just talking out loud...

^_^

Not to digress too much, but just something I occassionally find amusing...

It's funny how metric is the widely used method of measurement for the majority of the world, yet STANDARD (which, by the name would imply the standard) is only really used in the U.S.

Don't mind me... I'm just talking out loud...

^_^

Metric has it's place for some things.... But I still prefer to know how many miles I get to the Gallon (even if we can't quite agree on what a gallon is) and to drink my beer in pints....

Sometimes you're better off with your own standards; even if no-one remembers what they are :thumbsupsmileyanim: