When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

lug hole too wide / MBW 1680

kenan435

ok guys, i don't know how this happeend but i will go to a doctor and have my self checked out for insanity :blowup:. I started drilling one of the lug holes and 2 minuntes into it i found out that i am using a 2.0mm drill instead of 1.3mm. Is there any way to fix this. I will go to hell and back or pay millions to the one who would know what to do. The watch is a brad new MBW 1680.

If buying another case (or watch) is out of the question, three options

1. Use a larger (2.2mm dia or larger) springbar in that set of holes (yes, you will probably have to enlarge the opposite hole to 2mm). I seriously doubt anyone will notice unless the watch is being inspected at close range.

2. Have a watchmaker or jeweler weld new metal into the hole and redrill. After sanding & buffing, the 'patch' should be almost invisible.

3. 2 steps -- 1st step -- Fill the hole 2/3 of the way to the outside of the lug with 2-part metal epoxy. Be sure to leave about 1/32" at the outside for the second step. Let it cure. 2nd step -- Top the remaining 1/3 of the hole with 'Liquid Steel' (a type of epoxy that looks like steel when it dries -- it is not as hard as metal epoxy, which is why you are using it only as a cosmetic cover). Let it cure. Redrill.

Good luck.

buying another case is not really out of question and i would have an extra eta movement which means it is not a complete waste of money. But i will try the first suggestion and then the second. if it looks close to what is looked before i might keep it.

thanks guys