When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help winding watch

Jawo

I just received my Costeau Diver from Joshua today. Like many others, the bezel is off. Aside from that, the AR is great and there is no dust beneath the crystal. I big prob though. The watch does not seem to hold a reserve. I tried to manually wind it, about 40 turns. I tried to shake it for a few mins. The longest it has kept running for is half an hour. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to winding the watch? I think I am doing it correctly. I unscrew the crown to the first notch and wind it. Any ideas? Some advice and help would be appreciated.

You seem to be very unlucky with your latest arrivals Jawo.

Is your Cousteau a 7750 ? If so, I remember having read from Ziggy to wind it "completely", at least the first time.

I search his post but couldn't find it so I would suggest you browse all Ziggy's explanations.

Cheers

Stephane

EDITED:

I found it. Here is what Ziggy said (so I was wrong :wounded1: ) :

Automatic movements.

There are two basic types of automatic watches, those that wind in both directions, and those that wind in one direction.

Uni-directional winding movements

all Asian models are unidirectional (at least the ones I have seen). Included in this is the Asian or ETA 7750, its a unidirectional model.

You can safely wind these movements as long as you do so slowly and only enough to get the movement running.

Bi-directional models

ETAs and most Swiss models, 2824-2, 2836-2, 2892-2, etc

I just received my Costeau Diver from Joshua today. Like many others, the bezel is off. Aside from that, the AR is great and there is no dust beneath the crystal. I big prob though. The watch does not seem to hold a reserve. I tried to manually wind it, about 40 turns. I tried to shake it for a few mins. The longest it has kept running for is half an hour. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to winding the watch? I think I am doing it correctly. I unscrew the crown to the first notch and wind it. Any ideas? Some advice and help would be appreciated.

You've wound it enough for it to operate normally. Houston we have a 7750 problem. Probably a slipping clutch which is not an owner operator repair. The good news is, if you can stop yourself from opening the caseback and trying to fix the problem with a phillips screwdriver and a can of WD-40, Joshua will replace the watch with no hassle, just the inconvience of time and shipping.

Try to shelve the immediate gratification genes, put the watch back in bubble wrap and email Jose Nana.

Oh BTW, just a parting shot....anyone care to defend their contention that Josh inspects every watch and doesn't drop ship???????????

You've wound it enough for it to operate normally. Houston we have a 7750 problem. Probably a slipping clutch which is not an owner operator repair. The good news is, if you can stop yourself from opening the caseback and trying to fix the problem with a phillips screwdriver and a can of WD-40, Joshua will replace the watch with no hassle, just the inconvience of time and shipping.

Try to shelve the immediate gratification genes, put the watch back in bubble wrap and email Jose Nana.

Oh BTW, just a parting shot....anyone care to defend their contention that Josh inspects every watch and doesn't drop ship???????????

The watch is actually starting to hold time now that it is on my wrist. Maybe it needed to be broken in, dunno. I just thing the manual winding is working. I have received over a dozen watches from Joshua, and I think there is a degree of quality control from him. I know that if I have any problems, I can count on him to give me great service. I booked 3 slots with The Zigmeister for servicing in July. I bought a gen Swiss ETA 7750 movement from Ebay for $160 that I plan to use for a transplant for the IWC.