When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need opinions! - Buying a Gen SMP Chrono

dak244

Alright, so I have been looking to pick up a gen SMP Chrono, and I have come accross a pretty good deal, but I wanted to know your opinions on it.

It's a Omega Seamaster Chrono 2599.80, is supposidly in "mint" condition and includes all papers, etc and its going for $1500.

Here are some pics, please let me know if you think this is a good deal. It sounds like a great deal to me, but something just makes me a little skeptic.

260622-5517.jpg

260622-5518.jpg

260622-5519.jpg

260622-5520.jpg

260622-5521.jpg

260622-5522.jpg

260622-5523.jpg

Looks like it has a few bumps and knocks, as you would expect from a second hand watch. Is that a bit of card stuck in the case back, or a heavy scratch? Also the datewheel is misaligned too.

I think the price is OK, nothing special for the condition the watch is in. It's not "mint" by what I would think the definition of the word means. The watch looks re-finished.

Cheers :D

Looks like it has a few bumps and knocks, as you would expect from a second hand watch. Is that a bit of card stuck in the case back, or a heavy scratch? Also the datewheel is misaligned too.

I think the price is OK, nothing special for the condition the watch is in. It's not "mint" by what I would think the definition of the word means. The watch looks re-finished.

Cheers :D

I believe thats the piece of wax in there to show the watch caseback has never been opened, but i could be wrong.

As far as condition goes, I agree.. definitely not mint, and nothing special, but seems like a decent deal

$1500 is a little bit much. I paid much less for mine, but that was from our Thomasng. The serial number appears to be on the card, so I would expect it is intact on the watch too. The slightly pinkinsh tint to the hands indicates this is indeed a gen that is approx 4 years or so old (the coloring is exact in the pictures). Yes, the red dot on the back is an Omega thing to indicate the back hasn't been opened. Offer a bit less, and see what he says. If no go, the $1500 is OK assuming the serial # is in fact there. It's a terrific watch, and I agree that the rep is superb, but if you wish to start collecting gens, this would be a fine place to start.

Here is one I made earlier :p

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry250709

Or rather Oliver did for me! B)

If I could get a gen for that amount, I would have I suppose, but I am on the wrong side of the pond for that sort of price.

Out of interest how much is the NEW Omega Seamaster Chronograph, the one with the red lettering Seamaster and AR?

Out of interest how much is the NEW Omega Seamaster Chronograph, the one with the red lettering Seamaster and AR?

I haven't even seen the new one in stores yet, but I will be haunting an AD later today.

BTW, I think it's a common misconception that the old gen has no AR. It most certainly does, although only on the inside surface. The replacement crystal is the same as the 2254 and the regular SMP, (I have a spare here). In bright light, with a significant UV component, it is quite blue. The new one has double sided AR like the PO.

Late edit: Just checked with the AD. The new version is $4100CDN. That price seems to have been set when our dollar was much, much lower. With it trading almost at par with the $US, you would think our retail prices of big-ticket goods would come down. Nope.