When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

40 mm compared to 44mm

lanikai

If you've actually fallen into the "I don't wear anything under 44mm trap," don't even bother w/ the 40mm. You won't like it. Read some of the threads about 40mm PAMs and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, and I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone, but if watch a enthusiast has really excluded himself from wearing 98% of all watches in existence, I kind of doubt their watch enthusiasm. I'm thinking they just like really big objects on their wrists....

If you've actually fallen into the "I don't wear anything under 44mm trap," don't even bother w/ the 40mm. You won't like it. Read some of the threads about 40mm PAMs and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, and I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone, but if watch a enthusiast has really excluded himself from wearing 98% of all watches in existence, I kind of doubt their watch enthusiasm. I'm thinking they just like really big objects on their wrists....

I don't mean to offend anyone ... i actually never said or have the attitude that "i don't wear anything under 44 mm", what i am asking is does anyone have a comparison .. and visually it is like looking at a golf club ... if you can't get used to the "look" then it will not be pleasuable to use.. SO if you are proclaiming that i am not a watch enthusiast and that i should not be on this forum then that is your opinion ... i was requesting a comparison not your personal opinion of my thoughts that you are assuming i am thinking ....did i state anywhere that i "do not wear anything other than" 44mm? this is what i am thinking .. so you can get it straight in your "so called mind" .... a collection of the same design and style in different mm sizes may be interesting, for me personally and not for your approval or otherwise.. some watches that i own hardly get worn .. i just like to take them out and enjoy viewing them ... i also collect vintage cigars and pipes .. some pipes are 10 to 15 years old and i have never smoked them their carvers are great artist and masters in the art.. (carved meerschaums), some cigars are in tubes that have been discontinued in the 70's .. i don't show them to anyone .. they are kept in a climate controled room and in a humidor .. you can find them in the encyclopedia of post revolutionary habana cigars .. but i do not post pictures on any forums .. they are for my "personal enjoyment" friends ask me why i don't just smoke it .. and my reply is that they are a part of history, and i enjoy viewing them form time to time, like watches are ... i have a watch from the 1930's that still works well (very small) .. i like to take it out from time to time just to view it while i lite a good stick.

I don't show it at all ... i have had champion show dogs sired by Grand Champions , but never showed them because the trophies were not what i was after...... my point is before you make assumptions you should take into consideration that hobbies or interest vary and some people take a very humble approach to their hobbies , and do it for pure personal satisfaction .. like owning art that only the owner views .. hobbies at times i compare to religious beliefs .. very personal ... so be very careful who you call out .. it could turn out very embaracing for you.

Lanikai

Edited by lanikai

does anyone have a 40 mm they can put beside a 44 mm (pic), i would like to see the visual .... thinking of getting a 40 mm but anything other than a 44 seems small to me now.. thanks

Lanikai

here is a shot of my pam 048 (40mm) and my pam 165 (44mm) side by side. i hope this helps!

261636-5293.jpg

here is a shot of my pam 048 (40mm) and my pam 165 (44mm) side by side. i hope this helps!

261665-5284.jpg

Thank you very much Wheaton ... this is great .. i am wanting to get together a collection of the same dial etc. in different mm sizes.. thank you again it looks really great.

Lanikai

i am wanting to get together a collection of the same dial etc. in different mm sizes..

In this case a 050 and a 104 would make for a good starting point.

I don't mean to offend anyone ... i actually never said or have the attitude that "i don't wear anything under 44 mm", what i am asking is does anyone have a comparison .. and visually it is like looking at a golf club ... if you can't get used to the "look" then it will not be pleasuable to use.. SO if you are proclaiming that i am not a watch enthusiast and that i should not be on this forum then that is your opinion ... i was requesting a comparison not your personal opinion of my thoughts that you are assuming i am thinking ....did i state anywhere that i "do not wear anything other than" 44mm? this is what i am thinking .. so you can get it straight in your "so called mind" .... a collection of the same design and style in different mm sizes may be interesting, for me personally and not for your approval or otherwise.. some watches that i own hardly get worn .. i just like to take them out and enjoy viewing them ... i also collect vintage cigars and pipes .. some pipes are 10 to 15 years old and i have never smoked them their carvers are great artist and masters in the art.. (carved meerschaums), some cigars are in tubes that have been discontinued in the 70's .. i don't show them to anyone .. they are kept in a climate controled room and in a humidor .. you can find them in the encyclopedia of post revolutionary habana cigars .. but i do not post pictures on any forums .. they are for my "personal enjoyment" friends ask me why i don't just smoke it .. and my reply is that they are a part of history, and i enjoy viewing them form time to time, like watches are ... i have a watch from the 1930's that still works well (very small) .. i like to take it out from time to time just to view it while i lite a good stick.

I don't show it at all ... i have had champion show dogs sired by Grand Champions , but never showed them because the trophies were not what i was after...... my point is before you make assumptions you should take into consideration that hobbies or interest vary and some people take a very humble approach to their hobbies , and do it for pure personal satisfaction .. like owning art that only the owner views .. hobbies at times i compare to religious beliefs .. very personal ... so be very careful who you call out .. it could turn out very embaracing for you.

Lanikai

Are you OK?

Are you OK?

As opposed to?

it may have been that my semantics were not phrased correctly .. after really being mezmerized by the Panerais, when i put on other makes it just feels very strange to not have a Panerai on the wrist , even smaller sizes, even a rep., .... as i said alot of things that i collect, i enjoy just viewing them when i'm home and smoking a good cigar or drawing on my pipes (tobacco) ..lol ....if i came on too strong i offer my humble apologies ... i enjoy history .. obviously my knowledge of watch parts is not as indepth as most of the RWG members ... i don't have to explain what satisfaction we all have with these reps .... watchsmiths are a different culture from most "mechanics" i worked in Seattle at Mayer Brothers, watch parts department when i was working my way through school ... too bad i was not into these watches back then ... i would have taken more interest in Horology .. anyway ... i guess the old saying if you own 1 pipe you are a smoker if you own 2 you are a collector .. maybe same with watches.. so i like the history behind what ever i collect ... i know this is a watch forum .. but for example .. look up cohiba .. it is a brand of cigar from an island south of Miami and see what history you come up with ... same with watches, i sometimes get into the hisory behind a certain watch ... so peace and live and let live. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lanikai

Edited by lanikai

As opposed to?

it may have been that my semantics were not phrased correctly .. after really being mezmerized by the Panerais, when i put on other makes it just feels very strange to not have a Panerai on the wrist , even smaller sizes, even a rep., .... as i said alot of things that i collect, i enjoy just viewing them when i'm home and smoking a good cigar or drawing on my pipes (tobacco) ..lol ....if i came on too strong i offer my humble apologies ... i enjoy history .. obviously my knowledge of watch parts is not as indepth as most of the RWG members ... i don't have to explain what satisfaction we all have with these reps .... watchsmiths are a different culture from most "mechanics" i worked in Seattle at Mayer Brothers, watch parts department when i was working my way through school ... too bad i was not into these watches back then ... i would have taken more interest in Horology .. anyway ... i guess the old saying if you own 1 pipe you are a smoker if you own 2 you are a collector .. maybe same with watches.. so i like the history behind what ever i collect ... i know this is a watch forum .. but for example .. look up cohiba .. it is a brand of cigar from an island south of Miami and see what history you come up with ... same with watches, i sometimes get into the hisory behind a certain watch ... so peace and live and let live. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lanikai

OK...I was just getting a little worried. We went from 4mm to cigars to golf clubs to dogs pretty quickly.

I really wasn't saying anything about your personal watch buying or wearing habits, which I don't think about very often to be honest. I was making a general statement: If you hang out here or any watch board long enough you will read dozens of posts written by people who say emphatically "I won't wear a watch under 44mm" or I can't wear a watch unnder 44mm" or refer to a 41mm watch as "way too small for me" Call me a purist, but I'm sorry to say that I do have trouble referring to someone who absolutely refuses to wear 98% of the watches on the planet a "watch enthusiast." It'd be like calling a guy who only drinks Pomerols a "wine enthusiast." He's a Pomeristi. To you I was only saying, and still say: If you agree with those guys, you won't like the PAM 50 or 51 however accurate or beautiful they are. You will look at it and think, "This watch is 4mm too small." I should have also added, "If you do like watches smaller than 44mm, I reccomend the PAM 051 because the white dial works much better on 41mm PAMs than 44mm PAMS to my eye."

Peace and hi to the pups.

OK...I was just getting a little worried. We went from 4mm to cigars to golf clubs to dogs pretty quickly.

I really wasn't saying anything about your personal watch buying or wearing habits, which I don't think about very often to be honest. I was making a general statement: If you hang out here or any watch board long enough you will read dozens of posts written by people who say emphatically "I won't wear a watch under 44mm" or I can't wear a watch unnder 44mm" or refer to a 41mm watch as "way too small for me" Call me a purist, but I'm sorry to say that I do have trouble referring to someone who absolutely refuses to wear 98% of the watches on the planet a "watch enthusiast." It'd be like calling a guy who only drinks Pomerols a "wine enthusiast." He's a Pomeristi. To you I was only saying, and still say: If you agree with those guys, you won't like the PAM 50 or 51 however accurate or beautiful they are. You will look at it and think, "This watch is 4mm too small." I should have also added, "If you do like watches smaller than 44mm, I reccomend the PAM 051 because the white dial works much better on 41mm PAMs than 44mm PAMS to my eye."

Peace and hi to the pups.

Well for the sake of a good debate .. maybe they are the purist... reality is what you percieve it to be .. it would be pretty boring if everyone had the same viewpoint ... as for jumping from subject to suject i was trying to make a point over personal preferences not the items in question .. archibald, sometimes peoples habits trancend into their hobbies .. and if someone only wants to have or wear 44 mm or bigger watches then that's their right .. granted they may be missing out on a whole world of time pieces but that is thier perogative as is yours in thinking the way you do ... i look forward to reading more of your threads .. the board is very eclectic and that is a good thing ...

• 1 month later...
Are you OK?

Although granted it is a ligitimate question, and I too prefer the smaller PAMs, and as soon as I find one I like 40/42 I'll buy one. But that just made me choke on my beer. I thought the exact same thing as I was reading it, then there is was typed as a reply. Im glad i registered here :D

comedy genius. And im glad you are ok brother. :)

I should also add, incase anyone knows. What ARE the smaller models that are readily available as reps? I love some of davidsens white face/black strap pams, they would be ideal for me but all seem to be 44's and up. Its a minefield, and I have searched and looked... its far more frustrating than shopping for a gen.