When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to brighten up a black PAM dial?

MADRED7

Hi guys,

saw the Coffe and smoke thread and that reminds me on my own projects waiting to be finished.

Currently I am looking for a method to brighten up the matte black color of PAM dials without damaging the white printed words on it????

I tried steam and quick-dry under a hot bulp to make the black fade to grey.....could take ages....I want to achieve a look like it has been worn 60 years under the bright italian sun.

I tried the sandpaper method...but these damned dials are thinner than a bible-page....and the color does not fade but only disappear (and it disappears not equally on the whole dial)....the edges show their brass quicker than I wanted!

Any clues and hints and help is greatly apreciated, thx.

Theo

I tried all sorts of chemical oxidizers, and they all ruined the dial.

I just missed to try very diluted bleach and very diluted H2O2, but I doubt they are safe even when diluted.

I am afraid that only physical means (i.e. prolonged exposure to light) may be safe.

But, as you said, this could take ages (perhaps a little lesser with UV light?).

Oh well, I think I'd better go and place my dial right under this bright sun...

Well, some time ago I made quite a bit of search about the discoloring properties of light, and I got quite a bit frustrated.

Looking at the sunlight effects on old newspapers left on the ground one would argue that the light discoloring effect is more effective on blue colors than red colors.

This should discolor black into sort of brown. Or, at least, this was what I was thinking.

Then I found a brown dial on sale and gave up with the whole thing.

I would go for the soaking method.

If its fading to gray effect you want try adding large amount of salt into some water (it reaches the point when as soon as you taste it it makes you puke!).

Cover the dial with that solution and wait till a thin layer of salt forms over the dial.

Expose it to sunlight for a week and then wash it carefully and let it dry in the sun again and you will have it done.

Best,

marco