When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And The Body Turns Against Its Master

Chicken Manny

Recently I've been telling people that my brain has been systematically shutting down as a way of covering up small mental lapses. Of course, I was only joking. Until last week when I was telling a particularly witty story to a friend of mine only to be told that I had already delivered that joyous nugget of comedy. "You lie!", I said. Only I didn't because sometimes I am actually capable of a modicum of tact. Nevertheless I expressed disbelief at the notion that I had re-told a troy only recently acquired. Until, that is, she informed me of the very time and place that I first regaled her with my mighty tale. Which was several weeks ago.

I began to dig deep into my memory. What this possible? I swear to God I had yet to tell anybody that story. Moreover, I clearly remembered hearing the story myself only a day or two earlier. Untangling the hazy web of memories it all came back to me, and oh how wrong I was. I began thinking about other things that (I thought) had occurred recently only to find I was way off base. So it seems my joking about my brain shutting down was more of a prophecy than a joke.

In order to make my failing body fun, I'm starting pool for what will go wrong next!

Good odds: Liver failure, avian influenza

Bad odds: Scurvy, club foot.