When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Discussion

TeeJay

As you may recall, I had the misfortune to kill my SMP while attempting to regulate it, so I took it into a local watch smiths for regulation, repair, and waterproofing. They had to replace the movement, but have yet to remove a stripped screw in the bracelet (and it might still need waterproofing, the assistant wasn't sure if that had been done) so they've still got it. The interesting thing, was the watchsmith had said to the assistant that it was the best rep they'd ever seen, and asked if they would ask, where I got it from :D Imperfect pearl, weak date font, dial lume a bit on the 'green' side, but it clearly impressed them :D Hearing that rather made my day :D

Well the only interesting part I read, is the fact you damaged the hairspring or balance, and they installed a whole new movement.

That's akin to need new spark plugs and an oil change, and the mechanic replacing the engine...

RG

Oh I agree, I know that they're taking the easiest option for them, (and more costly for me) and simply replacing the movement rather than repairing it, but, as I bought the watch with inheritance money, replacing the watch, which would be the cheapest option, would mean having a replacement with no sentimental value, so I'm prepared to accept it as a) my final lesson not to attempt to regulate my own watches, and B) my final lesson not to attempt to regulate my own watches :thumbsupsmileyanim: