When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches at Master's Tournament in Augusta...

Craytonic

Had the luck of going to the tournament in style, chose to sport my 1950 in hopes of sparking conversation. I lost count of the number of Rolex day-dates I saw, usually in yellow gold. One place where I would bet most of them were real. Following in popularity was the ubiqutous submariner on the younger guys. Really young guys had the standard issue one (20-24). People 25-30 seemed to have two-tone submariners. I did see one omega SMP. The japanese people stayed away from the rolex and had on other brands I am unfamiliar with, but they looked really nice.

I'm not really surprised not to see any Panerai, as it is not the typical "sports" watch like the sub. It was funny that the older people who looked like they wanted just to watch had on the presidents. The younger people who looked like they wanted to be playing golf, right then and there, all had the submariners.

Another interesting note was the consitancy of the outfits. Every person there wore, without exception (well there was one idiot in madras shorts)

* Khaki shorts

* Polo Shirts

* Golf Shoes

This uniform did not change.

On a side note, I stopped in Atlanta on the way there and the sales rep at the cartier counter was much impressed by my 1950 from EL (swan neck, AR, etc). I was just doing a quick walk-by and asked if I wanted to try any on, said she liked the fiddy. I tried on the Santos 100 crono. IT IS ENORMOUS, felt even larger than the fifty. I can't see anyone wearing that beast!

Any other golfers here?

Honestly, I'm quite glad that Panerai is not the "brand of the masses", I'd probably stop buying them if I started to see them everywhere. I'm glad they make most of the originals in limited quantity. The last authentic Panerai I saw was in Osaka Japan in March of 2005 on the wrist of a Panerai Employee. I see other brands all the time, but I'm really hoping that Panerai doesn't catch on as the new 'rolex' opiate of the masses watch.

if i was going to augusta, id probabaly sport a rolly as well. doesnt seem like a panerai event lol. on another note, my local coffee shop seems to be a magnt for sweet watches...today i saw a pam 024, a planet ocean, and a nice olympic special edition omega chrono of some type....i was wielding my new Arktos :-)