When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I went on a run to China town (NYC) and made a purchase.

TighTTChrono

So, yesterday I was bored (waiting for Fatherday day dinner, which was in the evening. So a few friends and I made a quick trip into the city to have a look around. There are Rep items everywhere...most of extremely low quality. I happened to spot this one watch....and bought it for 45 bucks. While it is by no means comparable to our dealers reps....it wassnt terrible. It appears to have an AR coating...but I dont think its real. It looks like a coating meant to mimic the look of A/R. Some pics:

post-4009-1182193002_thumb.jpg

post-4009-1182192995_thumb.jpg

post-4009-1182192988_thumb.jpg

post-4009-1182192974_thumb.jpg

You know, if it weren't a wacky chinese "chrono," it would have actually been a very decent deal. The strap looks pretty good, actually.

On balance, I would say you did not get ripped off by any stretch of the imagination. Enjoy!

you're right about that...apart from all the brass junk, "really green crystal" breitlings and "black-bagged" rolexes, there's one seller that happens to have some of the stuff that i see on our dealer's site(s). Looks more like Andrew's stuff. He won't immediately show you the "good stuff" unless if you know what you're looking for.

the ones that go down to canal st. often probably know who i'm talking about. i've been there maybe 10 times in the last three weeks. I go to him because I can actually FEEL and WEAR the stuff before I buy.

you're right about that...apart from all the brass junk, "really green crystal" breitlings and "black-bagged" rolexes, there's one seller that happens to have some of the stuff that i see on our dealer's site(s). Looks more like Andrew's stuff. He won't immediately show you the "good stuff" unless if you know what you're looking for.

the ones that go down to canal st. often probably know who i'm talking about. i've been there maybe 10 times in the last three weeks. I go to him because I can actually FEEL and WEAR the stuff before I buy.

Any pics of the stuff you have gotten from him?? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a local dealer that I can go to. Ah.....no more shipping! =)

Any pics of the stuff you have gotten from him?? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a local dealer that I can go to. Ah.....no more shipping! =)

Sorry I can't post any pictures (no camera good enough!) but just to give you an idea, I've picked up (so far)

Explorer II w/ correct hand stack

Big Bang Ceramic and Mellow Yellow

Ingenieur Chrono (Overall impressed with this one).

The good ones he has runs out fast, because they're usually taken by his regulars. He's located between Broadway and Lafayette.

I've sent you a PM on who to look for.

Sorry I can't post any pictures (no camera good enough!) but just to give you an idea, I've picked up (so far)

The good ones he has runs out fast, because they're usually taken by his regulars. He's located between Broadway and Lafayette.

How are the prices? There's a street vendor in DC who always has 2 or three decent reps. Judging from his prices (he starts at double RWG dealers' prices and will only go as low as about 160%) I assume he's buying from one of our guys @ retail and re-selling. He doesn't like to show them to me anymore since he's figured out I'm just trying them on, but the last time I was there he had a TT Navi, what was probably a Noobmariner, and a 45mm PO.

I've never figured out why these guys don't stock better reps--seems to me the risk is the same and the profit margin higher. As status conscious as DC is, certainly there are plenty of people who would pay jacked up prices for good reps. Hell, I'd pay a small premium to save on shipping, be able to inspect before I buy, and not have to wait.

Archibald -- Although I have not looked seriously for a year or so, I have never seen anything anywhere near the quality of what is available from the collectors here on the streets of DC. But I agree that there would certainly be a market here if someone on the street made them available. On the other hand, the constant lines of buyers might draw too much unwanted attention.

How are the prices? There's a street vendor in DC who always has 2 or three decent reps. Judging from his prices (he starts at double RWG dealers' prices and will only go as low as about 160%) I assume he's buying from one of our guys @ retail and re-selling. He doesn't like to show them to me anymore since he's figured out I'm just trying them on, but the last time I was there he had a TT Navi, what was probably a Noobmariner, and a 45mm PO.

I've never figured out why these guys don't stock better reps--seems to me the risk is the same and the profit margin higher. As status conscious as DC is, certainly there are plenty of people who would pay jacked up prices for good reps. Hell, I'd pay a small premium to save on shipping, be able to inspect before I buy, and not have to wait.

Judging from what I've paid him and how many I've purchased so far in a rather short period of time, I would say that his prices are dealer's prices+S/H. Like all retail outlets, any item that is high in demand (currently the HBB / BCE) expect to pay a slight markup.

I would justify paying the slightly higher price because I can see and inspect the pieces in person before I buy. And the Daytona I purchased from him I was able to get serviced at no charge with a one day turnaround. You would be an idiot to buy the $60 mineral reps, but they are for the tourists.

Guest lcdr2007

I think I was at your guy about 2 weeks ago. Halfway decent variety from what I saw but on closer inspection they didn't hold up, even though the prices were pretty cheap. Hey, you get what you pay for. Maybe he was holding back on some of his better quality stuff for his 'better' customers but I didn't see anything worth skipping on a better quality rep online for.