When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

going to china

vdubpower

so my brother is going to china next week, i assume all the touristy places, the wall and things, i dont know, never been

anyways, he doesnt know diddly about watches, except he has a pam 212 swiss i got him

so the question is, where do i send him to get some good stuff. whats the best way to negociate with the sellers, and how much should one walk away with in price for lets say a swiss panerai or a swiss eta submariner.

I assume your brother is going to Beijing as you mentioned the walls.

It's really hard to find decent swiss panerai or eta sub there.

It's not worth the time to find it anyway. I would rather save some time and visit more places.

Stick with the dealers here and you ll be more happy with the quality.

But if your brother is going to guangzhou, that may worth a visit to the rep market.

Unlike many others, I like Canal St. reps. as long as they are cheap. I've been to the watch market in Guangzhou but found the atmosphere to be way to chaotic. When in China, I am based out of a "small" town in Zhongshan and I do know of one place that has "good grade canal st. reps" for roughly $20usd a piece. My rollie GMT beater has been running for three years and is still pretty accurate. When "in country" I spend about a month or two there and clothes shopping has no interest for me since nothing they sell fits me. So, junk rep shopping is the next best timekiller second to eating. Besides, there's nothing better than bringing back a pocketfull of watches and watch the office descend into chaos for the day. What else could get a bunch of guys excited outside of a nice chinese girl? My biggest problem when I first went rep shopping was I look like a LEO and my "tourguide" is a actual Captain in the town police dept. Good was he knew where to find the reps...bad, it took a little while convincing them I was there to buy and not bust them.