When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Topping Comex

freddy333

(This is an addendum to the previous Chasing a Grail thread)

Looking for opinions on the best crystal to use for a 5514 project (this will be fitted with an original He valve mod as well). As far as I know, the 5514 was never issued with a T39 superdome (please let me know if you have factual info that refutes this), but I am having trouble deciding between the taller len's beveled profile or the shorter len's more square profile. Am I correct in thinking that the beveled lens was typically installed by RSC and the squared lens is probably the style that was often affixed to the watch from the factory?

I do not have a gen T21 for comparison (though that is an option as well), but I am wondering what the consensus of opinions are between these 2 (I think 1 of these is from Clarks and the other from Helfands (not sure which is which though)

270339-3686.jpg

270339-3687.jpg

Thanks Nanuq. I figured you would have some knowledge of this.

I am with you regarding the reasoning behind the T39 on the Seadweller, but do you have any documentation indicating the T19 superdome being used on a 5514 or 5513-based Comex non-date Sub? I almost recall someone posting a gen 5514 on Timezone a few years ago with a superdome (not sure which tropic though), but I have been unable to locate either the original post or any other documentation to verify this.

Actually, you just jogged something else in my memory (alot of loose things floating around in there). I remember, when I read that post, noting that the watch, a 5513, was fitted with what looked like a Seadweller bezel. It was much thicker than the standard Sub bezel. There was only a side photo of the watch in the post, but I remember thinking that the bezel looked odd at the time. And only because it was posted by one of the generally trusted regulars at the time (it could have been James Dowling) that I assumed it was correct and genuine.

From what I have been able to gather in researching the Comex Subs, the first shipment of about 150 and some of the second shipment of watches Rolex delivered to Comex were just standard 5513s with a plain steel He valve added (the valves on these early watches were chrome-covered steel instead of stainless steel and often turned black due to the oxidation of the metal after the chrome wore away). The second (and later) shipments were given a unique model number, 5514, and began carrying the 'Comex' label and caseback numbering. I think that is the way it worked.