When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pimp my pan

launchjack

Very interesting.....Can you go into more detail about the casting process? Are you casting the lever and pin too or plating one or both of them? Are you using induction casting?

I had an induction casting shop tell me that w/ induction casting every detail can be copied, including threads and engraving. If that's true, those w/ deep enough pockets could concievably make any rep in 18K---personally, I'd love to have an 18k Rose gold radiomir.

arch - I've done lost wax casting for bronze and aluminum, and lost wax is VERY detailed, if there is a fingerprint in the wax, it will be cast in the metal when complete. I don't know if the tolerance is there to cast threads, because of shrinkage, etc the threads may be off but it would certainly capture any engraving that was done (assuming the caster knew what they were doing )

... lost wax is VERY detailed, if there is a fingerprint in the wax, it will be cast in the metal when complete.

Wow...the possiblities are endless, then. Is there a size limit? Can something as large as a case be cast? As far as the threads, I suppose it would be easiest to do a watch that has a screw-in back, but maybe it's possible that the threads could be machined after casting w/o much difficulty.

I apologize for temporarily hijacking this interesting thread, but anyone who has one of the old Muller long island Crazy Hours will understand--that rep is 100% perfect, right down to the crown and caseback engraving, except they never made a gen in steel--all were either white, yellow or rose gold. That $80 rep could be made cosmetically 1:1 if the caseback engravings came out just like the rep--a 1:1 rep of $25k watch for, what, a couple grand?

I can't wait to see pics of the pimped PAM CG details when it's done!