When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interested in buying a IWC rep.. but not sure which one?

arminvanbuuren

hi.. im interested in buying IWC watches.. but i don't know which one is the most accurate to the gen.. i like the look of this watch (below) but i'm not sure if it is even close to the genuine watch at all?.. costeau diver i heard is really good but then again.. theres too much flaw for something that expensive.. and aquatimer is not out yet.. so im tossing up between this watch or the new aquatimer.. so yeh can u pls tell me the flaws of the watch below? :) thanks alot

273676-2999.jpg

The 3717 in your picture is an excellent rep, so is the Ingeniuer and the Cousteau. All have a few tiny flaws but nothing that you'll be able to see unless you're comparing macro photo's side by side on screen. Buy which ever one you like the look of and you should be pretty happy

The 3717 in your picture is an excellent rep, so is the Ingeniuer and the Cousteau. All have a few tiny flaws but nothing that you'll be able to see unless you're comparing macro photo's side by side on screen. Buy which ever one you like the look of and you should be pretty happy

yeah i like the 3717.. i heard the font of the date and day wheel arent really correct.. but its not even noticeable.. but other than the datewheel what other flaws are there? thanks alot

Replace day/datewheels with ETA stock, relume and you have a stunning rep. I believe some come with AR and some don't. Version 1 (more expensive) comes with newer and better high beat Asian 7750. Later version costs less but has original (less reliable) 7750 movement. I wouldn't buy that one unless you are planning to swap for ETA movement. The good news on the cheaper one is the hands are readily interchangeable.

Replace day/datewheels with ETA stock, relume and you have a stunning rep. I believe some come with AR and some don't. Version 1 (more expensive) comes with newer and better high beat Asian 7750. Later version costs less but has original (less reliable) 7750 movement. I wouldn't buy that one unless you are planning to swap for ETA movement. The good news on the cheaper one is the hands are readily interchangeable.

i'm sweet with the new asian valjoux.. i prefer that version actually... to be honest.. even the font isnt that bad.. i will change it though.. but i guess i just wanna go ahead with the 3717 rather than wait for the aquatimer.. for me the 3717 looks more elegant.. but other than the font theres no other flaws?

i'm sweet with the new asian valjoux.. i prefer that version actually... to be honest.. even the font isnt that bad.. i will change it though.. but i guess i just wanna go ahead with the 3717 rather than wait for the aquatimer.. for me the 3717 looks more elegant.. but other than the font theres no other flaws?

apart from the day-date wheel font, the only other flaw i can think of is the colour of the pinnion(sp?) on the sub dials, on the rep they are rust coloured, I believe they should be painted silver or black, i can't remember which

Edited by steppen

apart from the day-date wheel font, the only other flaw i can think of is the colour of the pinnion(sp?) on the sub dials, on the rep they are rust coloured, I believe they should be painted silver or black, i can't remember which

The day/date you are right about, the hands you aren't. Looks at the various closeups of gens. The hands are brass too.

The only flaws are less detail in finish (that you'll feel if you are used to expensive watches, but you can correct it) , the day/date font, and IWC is engraved slightly larger on the clasp on the rep. It's the best rep I've seen and I'm really picky.

ETA: Even the bracelet links come out like the gen IWC. Very slick.

Edited by Amplitude

The day/date you are right about, the hands you aren't. Looks at the various closeups of gens. The hands are brass too.

Read my post again, I didnt say the hands i said the pinnion of the sub-dial hands

Look Below:

273994-2943.jpg

on the rep - they are rust coloured, on the gen - silver

Read my post again, I didnt say the hands i said the pinnion of the sub-dial hands

Look Below:

on the rep - they are rust coloured, on the gen - silver

I am wearing the rep. I just serviced it and installed the ETA wheels and was staring at it through a 5x loupe for quite awhile. And they are shiny BRASS colored, not rust. Do the spots (pinion attachment points on the HANDS) you circled look the same color as the case to you? 'Cause on my monitor they look yellower...like brass.

Edited by Amplitude

I am wearing the rep. I just serviced it and installed the ETA wheels and was staring at it through a 5x loupe for quite awhile. And they are shiny BRASS colored, not rust. Do the spots (pinion attachment points on the HANDS) you circled look the same color as the case to you? 'Cause on my monitor they look yellower...like brass.

how much does this watch normally go for? because i heard theyre 420-450? but my dealer offered 300.. and eddie said that it probably is teh 21k version?

you seem to miss my point so i'll go slow for you,

the OP asked about the flaws of this piece,

one of these flaws is the colour of the sub-dial pinnion. on the rep they are rust-COLOURED, not rusted like you mis-interpreted.

on the gen these sub-dial pinnions are silver.

I'll tell you what go to an AD, hold the real thing in your hands, then get back to me, deal? ok good

Edited by steppen

you seem to miss my point so i'll go slow for you,

the OP asked about the flaws of this piece,

one of these flaws is the colour of the sub-dial pinnion. on the rep they are rust-COLOURED, not rusted like you mis-interpreted.

on the gen these sub-dial pinnions are silver.

I'll tell you what go to an AD, hold the real thing in your hands, then get back to me, deal? ok good

Ok, I'll stop by the IWC dealer tomorrow. They are NOT rust colored on the rep. I am looking at mine right now. They are shiny brass colored. Yellow.

Ok, I'll stop by the IWC dealer tomorrow. They are NOT rust colored on the rep. I am looking at mine right now. They are shiny brass colored. Yellow.

yeh i think what he means by rust coloured is brass or maybe even copper as copper is rust coloured (gold).. then he said its supposed to be silver? so yeh i think thats wat he meant.. not supposed to be brass but silver

who quote you 420-450?

he quote me 380 (i cant name the name) but then i asked him why its so expensive.. and he said coz its the 28800 bph movement and other ppl charges 420-450 for the same watch he said.. but my dealer is giving it to me for 300 inc shipping so ill just get it from her..