When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's Serviced Pam 028 - Waterproof Update

TJGladeRaider

After the interest that was generated here when I started waterproof testing watches, Joshua offered to have his watch smith service and mod some watches prior to delivery. I ordered several that were to be fully serviced, timed and properly waterproofed.

Here are pics of my PVD am 028 with 2892 movement, sapphire crystal, genuine Alligator band and S/S butterfly deployment clasp.

post-223-1146279787.jpg

post-223-1146279802.jpg

For what these things cost, they better be a damn fine watch. I had some business at our local master watch maker today and he was admiring this one. Since he is an anti=rep activist kind of guy, I did not say a word.

The specs on the watch are dust -- these high res close-ups show everything don't they?

Naturally, I am going to test it to see if it is waterproof, and see how well it tracks the time on the US Official Time Clock on the Internet. After 24 HRS, it seems to be dead on.

Update - Waterproof Test:

post-223-1146335670.jpg Here is the watch in tester pumped to 4ATM (132 FT)

post-223-1146335687.jpg As you drop the pressure, you submerge the watch. Notice the little bubbles clinging to the crown guard.

post-223-1146335704.jpg No Bubbles - but note the little bubble starting to protrude from the lower crown guard screw hole. That isn't air coming out of the case, it is a buble that will expand to four times its initial size as the pressure decreases.

post-223-1146335730.jpg No Bubbles

post-223-1146335744.jpg This thing is airtight but see how big that bubble in the lower crown guard hole grew - if the watch was not airticght, the air volume inside the case would have done that same thing - expanded to four times it size.

All four watches in this batch have now been set to the same time - give or take a fraction of a second - according to the US Official time clock. We'll see how well they do over the course of a week.

post-223-1146338583.jpg

Bill

• 2 months later...