When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 63 with 2893-2 from EL

watchpt

Hey guys,

Good news and bad news. I received my pam 63 with the awesome 2893-movement from eddie yesterday! The watch looks great except for the typical crown and guard.

Good news:

I opened the back and yes it was the beautiful 2893-2 movement.

Bad news:

Rotor was not decorated. But hey, I can live with that since nobody will be opening up the watch any way :whistling:

Good news:

GMT works flawlessly and the second hand is smooth as butter

Bad news:

Crown sits very far away from the case and tilts when the lever is locked so the crown stem looks bent when the lever is closed.

Jimmyfzu crown guard wouldn't fit since the crown sits so far from the case

Good news:

My watch repair guy shortened the crown so it sits flush against the case.

Bad news:

Crown still tilts when the lever is being closed and remains tilted when the lever is locked

Good news:

EL says he will send another crown and crown guard! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Overall a good experience with EL. I will definitely change the date mag, crown and lume ASAP. I just wanted to know if anybody else noticed this problem with the crown on the pam 63. My pam 196's with 7753 crown is sturdy when pulled out and does not wiggle in the winding or time setting position. The pam 63 crown wiggles a lot in both positions. Any body have any ideas what could be wrong? I will try posting pics tonight.

Thanks for any help

Good post. Is this the first of the 2893 063s to arrive? I am curious to hear if the crown issue your experiencing is common for this batch of watches. Too bad about the undecorated rotor. Not that it's terribly important, but the earlier versions were decorated right? Oh well, like you said, no one should see it, other than your watchsmith, who would know it's not a gen even if it were engraved.

After the date mag, new crown and lume, you will have fantastic piece.

Enjoy and wear it well.

Climb on.

I wouldn't even notice if you don't mention it.

It tilts a little and I can live with it.

You can check my pictures here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=3634

I looked at your pictures and mine tilts more than yours. I think it also has to do with where the lever first contacts the crown. My lever contacts the crown high up causing it to tilt and then the amount decreases as the point of contacts begins to center. However it still is very tilted. At first I thought the crown was very loose because it sat so far from the case, but now that this is fixed, it still is loose and tilts a lot. Does your crown also feel wobbly when it is in the winding and time setting position? I just want to know if this is normal for this watch compared to the pams with other movements like the 7753 or 6497 movement.

Thanks guys,

EL is sending another crown and CG and he just sent me an email that he would be sending me an engraved rotor even though I didn't ask for one! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

EL is the best!

EL is the best!

Yes he is!

Just recv'd my 063 and the crown does sit a bit away from the case and it does wiggle a little when not locked, but mine locks down fine. Comparing what's on my wrist to some pics of a gen, the crown and the date mag are the two biggest differences. I should add that by "big" differences, I suspect only you guys and the Paneristi would notice them. The CG looks pretty good compared to the photo of the gen. I think AR coating, a date mag fix, a new crown and lume and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I haven't popped the back off to see if the rotor is engraved. I suspect not since these were basically just put together.

OK, having said all of that, this watch is beautiful!

As one RWGer is fond of saying, Mmmmmmmmm. Panerai.

Climb on.

I looked at your pictures and mine tilts more than yours. I think it also has to do with where the lever first contacts the crown. My lever contacts the crown high up causing it to tilt and then the amount decreases as the point of contacts begins to center. However it still is very tilted. At first I thought the crown was very loose because it sat so far from the case, but now that this is fixed, it still is loose and tilts a lot. Does your crown also feel wobbly when it is in the winding and time setting position? I just want to know if this is normal for this watch compared to the pams with other movements like the 7753 or 6497 movement.

To the uninitiated amature such as myself, this is a beautiful watch. Congrats

To the uninitiated amature such as myself, this is a beautiful watch.

It really is edd. And it's powered by an eta 2892 just like the original. Price is a bit steep for a rep, but when compared to other 2892-based GMT watches, it's a bargain, and IMHO, much better looking.

Welcome to the forum.

Climb on.

In regards to the AR coating, I think I read somewhere that the gen did not come with AR coating. Not to say that it would not look nice :lol:

Also, I have been in touch with davidsen and he tells me that he is almost done with making hands for the 63 as well. He is currently finalizing plans to sell pvd versions of this watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by watchpt