When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kingswatch for a 212?

masan

Most likely that 212 from King is the sapphire crystal version (probably without AR coating), the same watch that Paul is selling @229 USD.

That watch (apart from the other well known flaws) has incorrect subdial hands: metal rather than black.

Joshua's version has correct black subdial hands, but its crystal is mineral glass, not sapphire. Not necessarily a defect, as domed sapphire crystals proved quite prone to explode. After a peer review of all the available options, I recently ordered exactly that watch from Joshua.

If you are a fan of sapphire, Andrew used to have an Asian 212 with black subdial hands and AR coated sapphire crystal @308 USD. But I suppose it is sold out now, as he removed it from his list. You may still try asking him or Josh.

Should they prove unable to provide you with that watch, you may still find it also from dealers not accredited on RWG, e.g.:

http://www.watch-ebay.com/ProductsView.asp?id=210

Price is very high, but that dealer makes huge discounts for repeated customers. If you are interested, drop me a PM and I'll try to introduce you to him in hope to get a discount for you.

In any case, please consider that I choosed the 198 USD version from Josh in the end.

BTW, welcome to the forum, it might be nice to introduce yourself in the proper section before starting asking question, and it would even be nicer to say 'thanks' to those who gave you their answers, like in: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=39230

If everyone is refering to the flyback .... Josh and Andrew have the updated version... i looked at the genuine at Time Werks ... and as far as I could tell .... that's just it I couldn't tell ... PN25301 Andrew has it as the new upgraded model ... Joshua just has it as the 253 .. blue needle... really nice apple green lume out of the box.. seems like the makers are slowly catching on to the importance of colour and glow.

i got one last year from EL ( i won't go there),... and got one a few months ago Josh and Andrew have the same piece .. sssurfer can judge it better than i can .... check it out on Joshua's site .. or Andrew's

OK ... edit..... just checked out the models .. you are going for the more expensive Lemania ??? 598 usd .. but the 253 is correct case back .. again sssurfer would judge better ... I have (knock on wood) not had problems with my 253 and you will like the lume and the blue (correct) needle on the 253 .. if you can live with the movement

253 is the latest upgrade to this watch ... this has genuine sapphire with very very light AR ... just like the gen. 7750 .. but the lume and the blue dial loookkss gooooood.

Edited by lanikai

my apologies ... i got the regatta model of the flyback, and the watch i saw at TIME WERKS was a regatta version ... that is the upgraded model Josh and Andrew have .. but funny i could not find it on the official Panerai site.. nor could I find the 212 .... and interesting .. the checkered 199 submersible is made in titanium, the plain black dial is on the steel case... so the upgraded 199 with somewhat correct mag and font should be a plain black dial.....thought something was different ... met a guy that had the genuine 199 regatta and his was titanium.... oh well

i have a number of watches with both Sapphire, and mineral glass ... it really depends on how aware you are of your watch... sapphire will scatch if abused .. anything will ... i would not worry about it ... genuine Panerai crystal (sapphire.. ) scratch...

LIVE STRONG AND WEAR IT WELL ...

Just one question- is the mineral glass really prone to scratching/damage?

Well, Joshua is advising that crystal as 'Synthetic Sapphire'.

In Joshua's dictionary, this would stand for 'mineral glass with anti-scratch coating'.

So it should be at least a little more resistant than ordinary glass.

I decided not to care too much about it (but ordered a couple of plexi replacements from Cousinsuk, just for the sake of peace of mind... :) )