When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2 questions for Ziggy or anyone else who successfully completed a DW Daytona

(I originally posted this in the Rolex forum, but I think it may be more relevant here.)

1. What are the options for fixing a v72 movement into a DW case?

286027-8485.jpg

Before I spend the time to fabricate a clip shaped like a right-angled "Z" (the angled line would be vertical), I wanted to see if there is a better method. While my approach should work, I have a feeling there is probably a much more elegant (and effective) watchmaker's solution. Ziggy??

2. What is involved in removing the original chrono bridge

286027-8486.jpg

and replacing it with this

286027-8487.jpg

(Note - Rolex originally fitted either the 2-line or 5-line bridge to 6239s & 6241s, so either version is correct)

Is removal of the existing bridge a simple matter of removing the set screw, lifting off the bridge, swapping the jewels over to the new bridge & screwing the new bridge back in? Or are there springs to contend with or an adjustment that needs to be made upon re-installation of the new bridge? It seems like this should be a simple 5 minute r&r job, but, as we all know, when it comes to watches, the seemingly simple is often not so simple and I have learned that it is always better to ask before doing something like this for the first time.

I assume I can press out the two jewels in the current bridge with a concave staking bit and then reinstall and oil them. But what oil should I use on the jewels?

1. For securing the movement I make my own Z clamps and secure them to the movement...

2. Remove the screw, that's it, the bridge comes off... Hopefully the jewels are the same diameter on each bridge, if so you can swap them. A staking tool will damage the jewels, you need a Jewelling press with the correct bits, they have an automatic centering spring so you make sure the bit is centered, and presses the jewel in place evenly... No oil on either of these jewels, no reason to oil them. You should check end play when all done as well, to make sure that the same amount is there as was before. Check and note the existing end play on each gear before taking the old bridge off...

RG

Thanks Ziggy. Can I ask a few related follow up questions?

Regarding 1. Any problem that you are aware of with my using the top of a soup can to cut clamps from? As it happens, an empty one just came my way (with some soup). But I know that some metals react when placed next to each other.

Regarding 2. I am still a little confused about whether the bridge swap requires an adjustment or not? Assuming the location pins and screw/jewel holes in both bridges have the same dimensions (the seller says they should), shouldn't the end play be the same with both bridges? That is my big question - whether swapping the bridges will require some type of adjustment or whether (assuming both bridges have the same dimensions) it is just part-for-part remove & install. You recommendation that I check the end play before and after is what I was worried about. If an adjustment is required/needed, what & how do I measure (and adjust, if needed) the end play?

Finally, I know a jewel press is the proper (and best) tool, but I do not have one. I do have an Inverto and I thought a staking bit can also used to remove/reinstall jewels? Are there any other standard tools that I might already have that I can use?

Thanks Zig.

Do you use the jeweling press to remove the jewels as well as install them? If needed, can I buy jewels from one of the parts suppliers or is there something unique about the jewels in these chrono movements? What info do I need to purchase the correct jewels?

And, finally, do you know where I can get a cheap jewel press? Someone told me I need one..

Thanks Zig.

Do you use the jeweling press to remove the jewels as well as install them? If needed, can I buy jewels from one of the parts suppliers or is there something unique about the jewels in these chrono movements? What info do I need to purchase the correct jewels?

And, finally, do you know where I can get a cheap jewel press? Someone told me I need one..

The jewelling press is used for removal and installation. Jewels can be bought at any supply house, you have to give them the exact dimensions of the jewel and the hole.

Maybe ebay would have a used press, beware as "cheap" can mean poor quality, which is not a good idea...

RG

Thanks again, Ziggy.

I checked ebay before posting, but did not find anything. And new units are too expensive for my limited usage, so I will probably check with a local watchmaker/friend to see if he can tackle the job for me (he usually does things like this while I wait, otherwise, I would send it to you).