When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL

erwinner

When at work I was tracking the stats of Angel & Jay's package that was sent over the weekend. And it arrived safe and sound today, so had to rush home to unwrap. Great how Angel wrapped in a Garfield bunny to avoid any customs issues. My daughter of 3 loved it ;-)

But now the watch... Apparently I am a bit stupid to underestimate the meaning of XL... Boy, this watch looks bigger than my PAM090 44mm Luminor! I was expecting a big watch, but about the size of 36.6x7.9mm and not the spectacular 43mm x 52mm x 14mm! I guess this is a bit to much for my small wrists. What do you think?

286579-8118.jpg

I really love the silvery finish of the white dial version, and the rubber strap is excellent, although a bit thick and the black date is just as it is supposed to be.

The 21J movement has always proved reliable, but this time it makes a heavy noise when the rotor rotates. Apparently it's completely out of oil. Who knows how to have this fixed without sending of a 75USD watch for a 200USD service? All help greatly appreciated!

Edited by erwinner

Any straight-on pics to show the date mag? Is it good? And how does the "ar" coating look? :unsure:

How about this 'crop' of one of the above pic's?

287238-7774.jpg

As you can see it features the black datawheel, but the mag is not fully aligned (a bit to much to the left/bottom). Also it cannot be compared with the 2.5x mag of the Submariner but than again, the mag is also inclosed in the crystal rather than applied on top.

The AR did surprise me (positively). I was a bit sceptical when ordering the 'mineral crystal' as some of the other minerals I own (including the PAM 090 with huge dome and the Chopard fake-chrono's) where completely disappointing. This watch can be viewed almost at 90degrees angle without too much distortion.

The watch can be sourced through Silix-Prime for no more than 75$ (!!) so given the current exchange rates to the euro it's a bargain! http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1762

The only upgrade I'm thinking of is a new strap... considering the racing leather with punch-holes from Hirsch

287238-7775.jpg but it's drawback is that the chopard rep deployment clasp cannot be re-used as the strap is 22to20mm instead of the 22to22mm :-(

More info on this choice can be found at RWG on thread http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;#entry287229

• 2 weeks later...
Enjoy your new strap when you get it... :victory:

this time I've ordered the strap with my local watchsmith. Only 27,50EUR and without any shipping fees! So this proves the good-old brick-and-morter-shops can still compete ;-)

Some pic's of the new Hirsch Rally strap (for which I've mounted the rep chopard deployment clasp):

294258-3296.jpg

294258-3297.jpg

294258-3298.jpg

294258-3299.jpg

Good news:

• = you can re-use the deployment clasp

• the strap is 22mm and the lug-is 23mm so there is 1mm of tolerance
    • the clasp size is 22mm and the Hirsch strap is prepared for a 20mm clasp; more tolerance