When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA-2836 or Asia 17 Jewels

alant

My understanding is that "good" in this context is a relative term.

First, I don't think the Asian movement is even a single movement but could be one of many generics, some of higher quality manufacture than others. With ETA, on the other hand, you are purchasing based on a presumed pedigree or source of origin.

Then there is the question of watch assembly and proper lubrication. Many members have provided testimony of years of reliable service from Asian movements, so the chances that you will receive a decent watch are pretty good.

And finally, how long a watch lasts will also depend on how well it is maintained. And that is where you come in. Take good care of an Asian movement and it can last you "forever." Mistreat or fail to maintain an ETA and you may eventually have a lovely looking paperweight.

Having said all that, there have been times when I paid extra to get an ETA movement even though there was a well-reviewed version of the same watch with an Asian movement. And at other times I decided to save my cash and go Asian, even if there were other differences in quality besides the movement (such as inferior or no AR). Every person has to make their own judgement calls.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice jkerouac. What you said is very true. Now it came to my mind are all Eta movements stated genuine ones or could they have been replicated too just like replicated watches? And are there any ways to check if an Eta movement is genuine or not?

Hi dear all, I have done some searches in the forum, not much information on these two movements. Mainly discussing which movements being used in which watches etc. However there aren't any side by side comparisons between these two movements. Does anyone has any comments? Or how about any owners of eta-2836 and asia 17 jewels, do you all have any issues with your watches or are very happy with it etc? Keep the comments coming in, I would love to learn more from you all. Thanks.

Two issues you would have to consider here;

1. The ETA can mimic Rolex-style date flip, whereby the fate flips instantaneously when the clock strikes midnight. The Asian movement may take several hours to move the date into position.

2. The smoothness of the sweep may be more realistic in the expensive ETA. (Pretty good assumptions considering it has 8 more jewels)

Of course in terms of build quality and longevity the ETA will be a better choice. My advice to you would be to get the ETA.

One quick point, most asian 17j movements run at 21,600 beats per hour, all of the 2824/36/92s run at 28.800bph, so on an eta the second hands run smoother. ie it ticks 7 x a second, On a modern watch a rolex for instance this slower beat would be a tell that it was a rep. The noobmariner and some newer asian works also have a 28.800bph movement although still a 17j asian to solve this problem. Now a vintage rolex has a slower beat some as slow as 18000bpm 5 ticks a second, so unless you had a 2846 with the slower beat then an asian 21.600bpm 6 ticks a second, would look more athentic.

These asian movements are used by many big names in watch making such as Citizen, Orient and not so big like invicta in main street sales outlets and they can be very good and keep very good time.

I have an old seadweller that i have had for about 4 years now and it has consitantly ran at -10 seconds a day for 4 years on my wrist and on my winder when i am not wearing it, It has been through hell to say the least, swimming, fighting may i say it loving and still performs.

I Started a thread a while ago on the reliability of the UPO light and did not get one bad report and that is an asian17 jewel.

To give you some idea of how many types of asian works have a look here now out of that list i got a new noobmarina works for about

Two issues you would have to consider here;

1. The ETA can mimic Rolex-style date flip, whereby the fate flips instantaneously when the clock strikes midnight. The Asian movement may take several hours to move the date into position.

2. The smoothness of the sweep may be more realistic in the expensive ETA. (Pretty good assumptions considering it has 8 more jewels)

Of course in terms of build quality and longevity the ETA will be a better choice. My advice to you would be to get the ETA.

Corgi

On the date flip the asian will change just as quick but both change the wrong way.

The smoothness of the sweep depends more on the beat of the movement and the back lash in the gears than the amount of Jewels.

They are all made in a chinese factory and i would say that the asian can be put together well same as the Eta can be but together by a mong!

Thanks for all the advice and feedback pals! Yes these are the info that I need. Keep them coming in.

So looks like an asia 17 jewels could be as good and as reliable as an eta 2836. No doubt it maybe better to go for the eta 2836 if given a choice. Hope I got this point correct.

Moving on, Andy you were saying that for those vintage Rolex, the beats are relatively slow. So be it asia 17 jewels or eta 2836, they are too fast sweeping and would not reflect the correct sweeping movement for those vintage rolex. So I guess an experienced hobbyist would pick out the difference but for others they may not notice it, am'I right to say that?

And just curious, if those factories can make movements and watches so well, do they make replicas of the eta 2836 too?

About the rolex beat, you average bloke on the street thinks that rolex dont tick at all, an expert will pick you up because the crown guards are a nano meter to tall and it wont smell right.

ETA replicas, no need they are made in the eta factory and disapear out the back door most proberbly, but seagul has made a very good copy of the 2892 (a more expencive ETA movement)

I was going to point out that i had lots of asians but i dont any more i gave them away to people who came round and said Oh i like that so out of 22 watches rep and gen i only have 2 asians, but i would buy more with out a problem, infact i have 2 on the way from Silix.