When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gray market watch from the web

dvn

I am consider buying a omega watch from tz but according to the current owner the watch was purchased on line

as a gray market watch but it does come with serial intact and COSC certificate and reference card. What is the

consequences in term of service and resale if the watch is a gray market and purchased from the web?

thanks in advance for the info

Grey market = Omega won't warranty (in most cases)... warranty work is through the grey market seller.

Many grey market sellers only cover the original owner so you might not be covered.

Research the site where the gent purchased the watch originally... should tell you their policies and if they'll cover you as a second (or subsequent) owner.... you'll probably need the reciept from the purchase to get the work done in either case.

Omega will still service/repair the watch... just at your cost as long as the serial number is intact and the watch is gen.

Ensure the serial number is intact though... Most Gen service centers won't touch an "altered serial number" watch with a ten foot pole.

*Edit*... just to add that I agree with Deltahoe (following post) re: not worrying about warranty work... let The Zigmeister do the honors.

As far as resale value?... it drops significantly. Look at the used market of gens with full documentation, boxes, original reciept, stamped by AD card/warranty paperwork and then look at Gens with nothing but a cardboard box... all that paperwork and stuff that is pretty useless in the repworld is worth quite a bit with its gen counterpart.

given the case isn't filled with argon gas (like my sinn u2) or something crazy like that, ziggy can probably take care of any warranty-related issues that you might have, most likely twice as quickly as an AD, and at a very reasonable cost.

taking this into consideration, i wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty -- unless you're really unlucky, you'll most likely save more buying a grey market version and paying ziggy for any repairs that happen than buying one from an AD....

just my $.02,

deltatahoe