When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

jimmy fu crown guard

Just recently put one on mine no problem. The only thing that was not good was it was bent so did not go anywhere near the case to start with!! I think I did some very minor adjustments to the lever cam. Also got one on the power reserve (same case and mov).

Has anyone ever measured a jimmy guard? Some poeople say it's a 1:1 copy of OEM, some people say a 1:1 copy of the rep guards, some people say somewhere in between. I guess whoever measures one can lay it all to rest.

I got one for my 029 with the 2893. It was unable to be closed b/c the part that pushes on the crown seemed to long. That was the second one I received. The first one I received had the central pin head slightly tilted such that it wasn't perfectly flush with the guard when it was fully seated. That one was closable. I gave up after I returned it and got the second one which didn't close. Jimmy refunded everything for me including shipping, so he's a classy dealer. I'm just unlucky, I guess.

I have used a number of Jimmy's crownguards and they fit the genuine 44mm case 100%. This means that they will also fit any 1:1 rep case but some reps are not 1:1, particularly where the CG mounts onto the case. I have a 000 from Joshua and it is 100% the same as the genuine but my 005 curves more and that means that a genuine / Jimmy CG will not seat down tight to the case at the outer points. This is a criticism of the rep watch cases rather than Jimmy's CGs which I have found to be OEM quality. BTW his cases are also OEM quality and are an excellent starting point for someone who wants a top quality rep Panerai. If we could get an accurate copy of the 001 / 002 'T' dial, with the correct 'A' in the font, printed to the same qualty as the 005 dials then we could build a killer rep as a hand lume would replicate the tritium.

The problem with the 063 /029 is that the crown position, when closed, may vary from one example to another. If it is fitted close to the case when closed (winding position) there is enough room within Jimmy's CG for the two-stop adjusting positions. However, if the crown sits out from the case to start off, then there will not be enough room for the adjusting positions within Jimmy's CG and, as a result, the crown, stem and crown-tube will have to be modified first.

NB. Much care is needed in assembling the CG if the pin is to be inserted properly. I use a silicone lubricant on the pin and rubber insert and push the pin in with my screw-type link remover, using a flat brass plate between the pin and link pusher to ensure that the link remover's pin doesn't slip off the head of the CG pin. This way the CG pin can be pushed fully into place without risking damage to the pin or the flat surface of the CG.

I have used a number of Jimmy's crownguards and they fit the genuine 44mm case 100%. This means that they will also fit any 1:1 rep case but some reps are not 1:1, particularly where the CG mounts onto the case. I have a 000 from Joshua and it is 100% the same as the genuine but my 005 curves more and that means that a genuine / Jimmy CG will not seat down tight to the case at the outer points. This is a criticism of the rep watch cases rather than Jimmy's CGs which I have found to be OEM quality. BTW his cases are also OEM quality and are an excellent starting point for someone who wants a top quality rep Panerai. If we could get an accurate copy of the 001 / 002 'T' dial, with the correct 'A' in the font, printed to the same qualty as the 005 dials then we could build a killer rep as a hand lume would replicate the tritium.

The problem with the 063 /029 is that the crown position, when closed, may vary from one example to another. If it is fitted close to the case when closed (winding position) there is enough room within Jimmy's CG for the two-stop adjusting positions. However, if the crown sits out from the case to start off, then there will not be enough room for the adjusting positions within Jimmy's CG and, as a result, the crown, stem and crown-tube will have to be modified first.

NB. Much care is needed in assembling the CG if the pin is to be inserted properly. I use a silicone lubricant on the pin and rubber insert and push the pin in with my screw-type link remover, using a flat brass plate between the pin and link pusher to ensure that the link remover's pin doesn't slip off the head of the CG pin. This way the CG pin can be pushed fully into place without risking damage to the pin or the flat surface of the CG.

Great Post...very helpful. Looks like jimmy guards, and maybe cases, are a must for pre-H projects. I agree about the dials, too: If you're going to just make an aftermarket dial, why bother to put the intentionally flawed printing on it? You're already violating all kinds of laws with the word

PANERAI, so you might as well just do the printing right so you can sell as many pieces as possible in a short time...