When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Other HBB with Swiss Movement - Mellow Yellow

Watchmeister

This watch is not for the meek at heart and nor is it a "macho" watch. I initially did not like the yellow when I got it but it now is in active rotation as one of my summer beach watches. What is interesting is that it is the only watch that has gotten numerous favorable compliments from women rather than men. And unlike other odd-looking reps everyone always assumes it is an expensive watch. I guess it is the mix of materials and the yellow strap.

In any case this one has been Ziggified as Riverwind's Black Magic is. I know he won't be doing this again as it required cannibalizing the parts from 3 or 4 different movements. And if he isn't doing it no one else is. Even if you have the skills (which none of us here do other than him) you need an extensive collection of the various 7750 movements to find the various parts.

Apologies for the Smudges:

Wrist shot:

290210-5876.jpg

Side Shot - enlarged gap between the the datewheel and dial on the rep has been eliminated:

290210-5877.jpg

Movement (money shots :lol:)

290210-5878.jpg

290210-5879.jpg

Genuine Mellow Yellow (1 of 100) - $10,000

Ziggified Mellow Yellow (1 of 1) - Priceless :D

This watch is not for the meek at heart and nor is it a "macho" watch. I initially did not like the yellow when I got it but it now is in active rotation as one of my summer beach watches. What is interesting is that it is the only watch that has gotten numerous favorable compliments from women rather than men. And unlike other odd-looking reps everyone always assumes it is an expensive watch. I guess it is the mix of materials and the yellow strap.

In any case this one has been Ziggified as Riverwind's Black Magic is. I know he won't be doing this again as it required cannibalizing the parts from 3 or 4 different movements. And if he isn't doing it no one else is. Even if you have the skills (which none of us here do other than him) you need an extensive collection of the various 7750 movements to find the various parts.

Apologies for the Smudges:

Genuine Mellow Yellow (1 of 100) - $10,000

Ziggified Mellow Yellow (1 of 1) - Priceless :D

lol I think it's because of the HBB styling and in all honesty... the yellow strap :bicycle:

you don't really see too many yellow straps and since you have an HBB, the "tire rubber strap" on pictures is misleading cuz you'd think stiff, yucky and ugly.. but it's not.. it's nice soft pliable natural rubber and I'm sure the watch stands out as any HBB does, on your wrist at the beach

:p just don't go swimming with it, lol

It's no longer Riverwinds HBB Black magic... :)

that kinda makes me a sad puppy, I'll jump all over the chance to buy that too but still makes me :(

why? The Zigmeister doesn't do HBB transplants anymore since it's so complicated one would think after he has blessed a watch like he did, the owner would actually appreciate the watch more

just mnho..

why? ziggy doesn't do HBB transplants anymore since it's so complicated one would think after he has blessed a watch like he did, the owner would actually appreciate the watch more

It's more of a case of the Asian 7750 parts not being compatible with the ETA anymore... There are numerous versions of the A7750, the 28.8k ones are totally different than the ETA, whereas the 21.6k versions were the same.

So with no source of parts to make the ETA into a quazi-7753 model, I can't do the work anymore.

I did have spare 21.6k A7750's, but 3 of them were scrapped for this HBB, and the other ones I had, were scrapped for the other HBB...and lets just say the appreciation from the owner for all the work that was done was basically zero (not Kruzer, he always acknowledges the effort I put into his watches). After 10+ hours of my time, a few scrapped movements, and many problems and difficulties to overcome, I emailed a long detailed message of all the work and effort I had put into the watch to make it work.. and the response back was a one liner "...send me a picture of the watch, it's really important..." Hmmm, sure, I'll get right on that, thanks for asking...

RG

It's more of a case of the Asian 7750 parts not being compatible with the ETA anymore... There are numerous versions of the A7750, the 28.8k ones are totally different than the ETA, whereas the 21.6k versions were the same.

So with no source of parts to make the ETA into a quazi-7753 model, I can't do the work anymore.

I did have spare 21.6k A7750's, but 3 of them were scrapped for this HBB, and the other ones I had, were scrapped for the other HBB...and lets just say the appreciation from the owner for all the work that was done was basically zero (not Kruzer, he always acknowledges the effort I put into his watches). After 10+ hours of my time, a few scrapped movements, and many problems and difficulties to overcome, I emailed a long detailed message of all the work and effort I had put into the watch to make it work.. and the response back was a one liner "...send me a picture of the watch, it's really important..." Hmmm, sure, I'll get right on that, thanks for asking...

RG

for me, I've been blunt with my main concerns with the HBB.. those being

-someone spotting it and calling it out (let's face it, it does stand out and if you know about the HBB, you know how much it costs and can call someone out if you wish to)

and more importantly

-servicing the watch .. not so much transplanting or anything like that, but in terms of servicing the watch.. I'm not sure who'll be brave enough to undertake it should I ever want to go down that route

anyhows yea, like I said.. the process is complicated and you've been documenting the effort that goes into these HBB's.. so to let a watch go after you've put so much time and effort into it is not cool

not cool at all, imnho :thumbdown:

hell.. truth be told this piece may go down in 'lore' now... it's the The Zigmeisterfied Black Magic.. I know if it ever goes up for sale I'll be one of the people lookin to acquire it, :bicycle:

That is really messed up.

What I wanted to ask you, you remember that Gold JUNGHANS watch you overhauled for me some time ago? I think the mainspring broke, do you think you can get a replacement spring for that watch?