When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Putting hands on a skeleton movement

chris5264

This has turned out to be a major obstacle for me. Actually, putting the hands on a skeleton movement is similar to any other movement except there are no markers and if a hand slips it could literally get stuck in the balance wheel, but at least on the 6497/8 it is pretty typical. So, what is the problem? There is a small gap between the hour wheel/hour hand and minute hand, so if the watch is turned over, the hour wheel falls a bit and can change positions. Usually, the dial stops this from happening, but without a dial, it is a serious problem. One of my favorite projects was a hand skeletonized 6497 http://www.paneristi.com/archives/uglyduckling/ . From the pictures everything looks great but this guy ended up having the same problem. His solution was to create a hand extending from the keyless works to hold down the hour wheel. While this guy is very talented, I didn

This is the same technique used by the IWC skeletons so you could always buy one of those movements to get the o-ring :)

Super nice watch Chris.

How about attempting to blue flame all the SS parts and then sticking the blue hands back on :)

Funny how of all my reps, I get the most complements from my skeleton pam.

-bosk

i know this some month before :D

i sold many skeleton watches at last christmas and all comes back... the buyers told me that the hour hands are incorrect.

i have look long time to this problem and nocticed that the asian hands had a small o-ring.... i put them also on my genuine swiss hands and all works fine...

@Chris

do you know where we could find this small o-rings? I have many new skeleton movements and need this..