When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Malte Dual Time Regulateur

TheDukeZip

298862-130.jpg

I purchased this watch because I needed an elegant and sophisticated looked rep to wear to a few summer weddings. I had a pretty good idea what I would be wearing and I was looking for something with a light brown colored leather strap. I have a thing for GMT watches, so the Vacheron Constantin was a perfect fit.

I have seen a few reps of this watch from searching on this board that are more accurate than this one, but I couldn't locate one being sold at this time. Perhaps because I'm new to buying reps and didn't feel comfortable messaging every possible dealer trying to track one down. This particular version seems to a bit more common although it also has a number of flaws. I saw close up photos of the rep before I purchased so I was not devastated that it did not look exactly like the gen.

298862-131.jpg

The fact that the hour, second, and GMT hand are distributed amongst 'complications' give the watch a very unique look. The most noticable flaw is that the Vacheron Constantin wording font is too small, but as I mentioned, this does not bother me. The subdial spacing is a little off, as well as the design of the subdials themselves. More tricky to notice flaw is the date '7' is actually reversed from the gen., as well as the 30 missing from the bottom of the watch. I like to compare this watch to karaoke... When they start playing the song it says "In the Style of..." It isn't exactly like the original but it is beautiful anyways.

298862-132.jpg

The crown does not screw down, so I am unsure if I would dare to take this watch into the water. There is a pusher button on the top right for incrementing the GMT time in one-hour increments. There is also an inset button under the crown for advancing the date. The crown pulls out to set the time, but the movement does not hack, so if you're trying to synchronize down to the second, you'll need to set the other watch to this one.

After wearing the watch for a day, I left it on my desk for the next two days and carefully monitored when it no longer was keeping good time. It happily kept perfect time for 45 hours and died 15 minutes later, a great power reserve!

The GMT hand clicks over once per hour at 47 minutes past the hour and has been spot on for two weeks. This exact timing doesn't make much sense to me, perhaps there is a way to resolve this by opening the case and get it to click over exactly on the hour. I am still trying to figure this out.

Like the gen., the case flips open in the back to expose the Asian 21J movement.

298862-133.jpg

298862-134.jpg

Again, the appearance is nowhere near the genuine, but it looks great all by itself. If you are showing this to the average non-watch person, their reaction to seeing an exposed automatic movement is just "Whoa, cool."

The shading of the strap makes this a perfect watch for hot summer nights out on the town. Below I'm wearing it with a seersucker sport coat.

298862-135.jpg

I'm not confident I would wear this as is with a dark brown jacket as shown below. This could be easily resolved by replacing the strap with a darker brown, or you could do black with black of course.

298862-136.jpg

Nice choice. I had the first generation Rose Gold VC Reg and loved it. In some respects, yours is more accurate with the officers Caseback, etc.

It is a great dress watch. Wear it well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks dluddy. As you can tell, I've become watch-happy, which is not so happy for my bank account. Luckily they're not gens!

Whenever I see this watch alone in the pictures I think, "what an ugly duckling... if only they put the hands in their normal positions it might just be bearable."

However, to see it on your wrist, my opinion is changed for the positive. I find it now to be agreeable, but I still somewhat dislike the split hour-minute hand combination. I am a tough critic, though, and to be honest I have to say it looks good on you sir.

Did you get it from Joshua?