When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Strap

Roland

I just finished my first strap. Actually, it is my second, but the first is so bad I cannot show it here. I made one for a Fiddy, they are easy since they have the same width throughout. Crocodile is a pain to work with. Now I know why they charge so much for them. But it looks really good. The strap was too wide with the hole I punched. That is why it has two holes.

The top one is a modified strap. I took off the original thread and restitced it with yellow thread. I also shortened the strap so that it fits my wrist better.

301687-1891.jpg

What grade thread are you using Roland, in germany it is graded as 10 being the thickest and going thiner in 5s from there, i use 10 and 15s but mostly 10s, i think the crock would look better with a thicker thread so that you can see it was sewn. I would like to see the edges to see how that gumm looks you pmed me about. I just wish i could get hold of real crock over here so i could have a go at that.

Andy

Hi Andy:

Here is another picture:

301726-1877.jpg

With the construction of tis strap it is important to finish the edges. The strap has 3 layers of leather: the top is crocodile, the center is cowhide to give it thickness and stability, and the lining is lamb. The crocodile I used is a very moderately priced skin. I paid 35$ on ebay. There were tears and holes in the skin. But still enough good areas for watch straps. The one shown is from the belly section. The scales in the skin make it impossible to fold it over at the edges. The edges have once coat of gum Tragacanth, then burnishing with a Dremel with a cotton wheel, then two coats of Edge Kote brown.

The thread I used is German, but I have no idea how to find out the thickness. It is Mettler cordonnet, top-stitching, Polyester spun Art. 1146.