When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquaracer's Achilles Heel - Look under the clasp!

TmeShare

Like many on the Board I was thrilled when the Tag Heuer Aquaracer (Day-Date) was released. Always loved the blue dial version and so I promptly ordered one. When I received the watch I was impressed with the watch. However, when I looked under the clasp I noticed that it was held shut by 2 prongs of different lengths. Later I realized, when the clasp keep coming open, that the prongs are not meant to be a different lengths and so really only 1 prong was holding down the clasp. Also, the prongs looked very fragile No big deal I thought, the watch is working so all is fine.

The next day the (longer prong) fell out and when I took apart the clasp I discovered that the 2 prongs are only pushed into 2 holes of a similar size, no rivet, no weld, no glue, no epoxy.........no nothing but friction.

Thought I would post this discouver so if you have this watch you can pop open the prongs cover (it has 2 holes and fits over the prongs) and glue or epoxy the bottom of the prongs to the surrounding metal. If not, they will probably pop out at some inappropriate time (Murray's Law of Watches "If a problem occurs with your watch you are 1) never at home and 2) don't notice until it is too late").

TimeShare

Thanks for the warning. On inspection the prongs on my clasp are of equal length and after some inspection seem very secure and both engage and hold when the clasp is closed. Can't open the prong cover as prongs seem securely fixed.

So possibly just a QC flaw rather than a design flaw? No consolation I know.