When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

i'm trying to figure out quality at 1:25 price scale (rep/gen)

anton

This notion has been stirring in my head for some weeks now and i'd like to bring it out to the public. I'd searched on the rep forums for some answers, but so far found none. What I'm trying to figure out is how two mass-produced items (one being genuine and the other being a replica) could have the same "look and feel" when one costs a fraction of the other.

Granted, we see these in other tangible items as well, like clothing and appliances, but what I'm primarily focused on is the watches. What I haven't been able to figure out as of yet is the "raw cost" of many of these watches. Plainly speaking, the manufacturing cost of producing such a watch (the cost of the parts).

I know that in "haute horologerie" (high horology) much of the MSRP is related to the costs of developing the product, so I accept it if I am paying 250,000 for a JLC Extreme LAB, but $25,000 for an AP ROO that has the same movement as other, much cheaper iterations; only that it would be produced in the 100's and has a different dial color? Does a different dial color justify a $8K price increase?

Now going back to my original topic, if you did not account for the movement used in the rep watches, do they use the same quality of steel as the gens? (I assume the costs of steel are different based on where they source it from), are the hands made of the same material? Does more lume really cost much more? Is an AR coat that pricey when we are talking about coating thousands upon thousands of crystals?

The reason why I bring this up is I have in my hand two Ferrari 008's. One rep and one gen. If they are almost identical, then how do we justify the $300 vs. $6000 price difference of what is essentially the same product?

I tried to use Breitlings as part of my argument, but the bracelet weight of the rep is still not up to snuff with the gen.

The retail price of products is directly related to a few things.

First of course is research and development. Many companies spend millions of dollars researching and testing a product before releasing it for sale. An example of this related to replicas is probably the cost of purchasing a genuine watch, disassembling it and replicating all the parts. Movements in high end watches take years to develop and involve very complicated engineering and hand assembly.

Marketing is the second or first largest cost. Since replica manufacturers have little or no marketing expense the products can be produced a lot cheaper. It is very costly to build a brand and generate a demand for that product. Limited editions are more expensive because the marketing costs are the same but there are less to sell. The limited additions also add to the brand awareness and worth.

Let's face it, weather replicas are similar or spot on they will never be anywhere near as good as their genuine counterparts. On the same note, the raw production and material cost for a genuine watch is nowhere near the retail price. Many swiss watches are hand assembled by master watch makers and their Asian replicas are thrown together in someones living room by inexperienced people sometimes children. Parts on genuine watches that don't pass the quality control are discarded while many are installed into reps.

Although replica watches are a good value and fun to wear, they will never take the place of a genuine watch with strict quality control and a warranty.

On that same note is a genuine really worth the money? Sometimes. I have never bought a genuine watch new. I prefer to have someone else absorb the depreciation. I also only buy cars that are one or two years old.

Is a replica worth the money? Sometimes as well. If you constantly nit pick and expect a $200 watch to deliver the same performance and durability as a $20,000 counterpart don't buy one. Once you handle a genuine you will never be satisfied with a rep no matter how "super" or "ultimate".

If you can spend $200 or $300 on a watch and see it a s a novelty and enjoy it for what it is then yes they are worth every penny. Just don't plan on passing your ultimate Hublot Big Bang down to your grand kids. I am happy if I get a years worth out of a replica. I always expect to get every dime back from a genuine I purchase if I ever choose to sell it.

Keep in mind when you look at a rep and a genuine side by side they are only almost identical asthetically. There is a lot of engineering that goes into the movement and case of a genuine watch that is not present in the replica. If you are only concerned about asthetics a rep should do just fine. If you are concerned with performance only a genuine will do.

Would you rather drive a genuine Ferrari or a kit car based on a Pontiac Fiero?

In summation:

Genuine: Buy pre-owned and as long as you have one you will never be broke.

Replica: Disposable watch.

Would you rather drive a genuine Ferrari or a kit car based on a Pontiac Fiero?

I think a better analogy might be to use a Shelby Cobra Replica versus a genuine. My old next door neighbor had an original worth over $200,000.. He also had a replica. Of course with a 40yr old $200,000 car, it's always a pleasure to have an original than a replica, for the pure fact of value appreciation.

But if you ask yourself... what will give you more reliability, peace of mind and BANGGGG for your buck the Replica is what you're looking for... 3x as safe, usually more powerful and exceptionally built....

Fiero vs. Ferrari is not as valid of an argument in my opinion. But it IS just my opinion.....

-ryan

• 2 weeks later...